Saturday, March 13, 2010

Fourteen Dollars And One Cent


Karrie has been shipped to the St. John's County jail. It occurred at 10:18 yesterday morning, according to the website. I left the library and walked to the UPS store and bought a stamped envelope. I also got a money order for $14.01 and wrote her a 3 page letter and then went to the nearest mailbox and dropped it in, before something really bad happened to it. Such is the feeling, here in Ocala. I feel like I am the subject of a manhunt, and, at any time the police could jump out and yell "Freeze!"
A man who I spoke with, told me that the Marion County cops are known far and wide to be the worst in the state. "They'll arrest you for standing there, doing nothing." I wasn't exactly reassured.
After I mailed the money to Karrie, promising more if I ever got more, I walked to the store, and bought some tomato soup, corn chips, and a "hard" lemonade. They were out of Earthquake High Gravity Lager (I guess they hadn't factored my arrival into their order for this week.)
I returned to the spot where the Lord had shown me Thursday night. I had gotten to a point then, where the second round of thunderheads were about to overtake me, and I started to utter a prayer, something like: "Lord, you've never let me down before; you might not have given me everything I thought that I wanted, but you've...etc"
I hadn't even gotten past the "Lord" part, when, I looked and saw a building that was empty and for lease (like half of Florida,) Behind it was another which had a huge overhanging roof. I think it used to be for horses. I had found a piece of particle board which was just about my height and had exercised Option 3. and slept pretty well, especially as the rain started to pelt the roof, telling me that I had made the right decision, and that there would probably be no thugs out roaming the streets, looking for white boys.
My First Encounter With The Ocala Police
I returned to the same spot last night.
I had just about drifted off to sleep when the flashlights of the cops were on me. I thought about how the man had told me that they would arrest you for "just standing there," and I was glad that I was laying down.
They were apparently there because someone had broken a window and was sleeping INSIDE the place (as if the horse corral with the nice roof out back wasn't good enough! Some homeless people make me sick!)
I think they used "common" sense and figured that if I was the one who had broken the window in order to get inside, then why was I sleeping in the horse area. They train them upon things like that.
They trespassed me from the place and then let me go. I will sleep in the horse corral no more, under punishment of imprisonment.
I went back to the spot in the woods where I had gotten soaked, and slept adequately and didn't get soaked. My tenure in the horse corral was oh, so short, I thought.
My Second Encounter With The Ocala Police
I woke up in the spot where I had gotten soaked, dry, and being pestered by some birds, who seemed to think that they were there first. It is going to cost me some bread to stay there in peace any longer.
I thought about things, and prepared to go out onto the ramp to try to make back some of the money that I have spent.
I went to the Kangaroo and got an energy drink and then struck up a conversation with a guy, who has lived in Ocala for a while and knew "everybody." He wanted to hear me play the guitar and said that the cashier was "cool" and wouldn't mind me sitting and playing for tips.
I took out the guitar, tuned it and began to play. A cop pulled up and sat there. I had just started to play, and so, I didn't think that he had been called.
A man came and threw 5 bucks in my case, as I played "Eyes Of The World," by the Grateful Dead.
The cop walked over and said that he needed to see my ID, told me that there was an ordinance in Ocala against what I was doing. He searched me and my new acquaintance, who knew everybody. If asked why I thought this was necessary, I would say "Search Me." After he determined that I had no knives, no needles, no drugs nor anything else that he "should know about," he then told me that it was alright if I played "in the county," but not in the city. He told me where "the city" ended and where"the county" began (two miles down Silver Springs Rd. and past the Wal-Mart.) He didn't take me to jail because I was new in town and not necessarily expected to know the ordinance. Plus, I wasn't standing.
Now, I leave the library. It is Saturday evening. I will walk the two miles to where the city ends and the county begins. I will ask the guy or girl in the Circle K if it as alright if I sit and play in front of the store. If yes, I could make 50 to 75 bucks. If no, I will walk the two miles back to the spot in the woods where I got soaked and tell the birds "Shut up, I'm not in the mood!" Then I will sleep and wait for the Lidgleys to come on Thursday and ask them for a ride back to Jacksonville. I will have had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.