Saturday, June 19, 2010

Man Versus Nature


What A Wonderful World

Friday (last) night, I left the library, and spent myself down to $1.47, after a purchase of beer and cigarettes. Not lost upon me is the fact that beer and cigarettes are consuming most of what is being consumed. I am afraid that I will have to go through a period of "cold turkey," if I am ever going to "get ahead," here in Mobile. If I continue to "tread water" and fail to put aside some money, then I will be like an oil rig, just waiting to explode. I will be a broken string away from disaster. This makes me uneasy.

The Soul Kitchen





I went to the spot with the good acoustics. I was playing and had made a couple bucks when Ben the ambulance driver and his partner came by and suggested that I move further up Dauphin Street, because of the increased foot traffic there. I realized that, if nobody heard the great acoustics, then I would be the only one to benefit from them. I was hoping that Emily might find me there and want to play. I said that I had played once up that way, and done alright. They suggested that I sit in front of The Soul Kitchen, it being closed for the night...

I played there for a while and, in between beers, made about 17 bucks; par for the course, it seems.

A Cornucopia Of Plenty

Today has been a cornucopia of plenty. (Wasn't she a tennis player??) I slept in until 8:10am. I woke up with $15.53. I went to Subway, to check the coffee prices. A large cup was $1.75.



"I just wanted to see what the price was, because I have been walking all the way to McDonald's when I want coffee. I'm debating between coffee and beer at this point."

I had no sooner uttered this, when a man, who had been standing behind me, spoke up and said "I'll buy you a cup." He bought me a cup of coffee and I started my day with that, instead of beer; and I didn't even have to flip a coin.

I went to 15 place and they ran out of eggs and sandwiches on the person ahead of me in line. I had an extra large plate of grits, with salt and pepper. A man gave me half of his ham and cheese sandwich.

I then went to Dauphin Street, where they were having a big produce market type thing in the park. There was a bluegrass band playing, dashing any hopes of my music bearing any fruit. I went to the other park, to sleep some more.

I was woken by a black man, who told me that "They are lining up to eat." I saw that some group were handing out Styrofoam containers of food. I got in line. They ran out of Styrofoam containers on the guy in front of me in line, once I got there.

I went and sat on a wall, adjacent to the beer store. I was looking at the beer store, thinking that 12:45pm. was late enough for a "first beer of the day," also reminding myself of the conclusion that I had drawn, given the correlation between expenditures on beer, and being perpetually broke and unable to climb out of the crab trap. I decided that I would just get a Mountain Dew and then come to the library.

No One To Twist In The Opposite Direction

No sooner had I made that resolve, than a couple of young ladies walked over to me, carrying a Wendy's bag, and offered me a cheeseburger. I ate it, then went and got a Mountain Dew, and here I am at the library, ostensibly to write that letter to Karrie, which I have put off one more day...On the way here, some group was handing out Styrofoam containers of food. It looked like turkey or ham with two slices of bread, a pickle and a bag of chips, when I took a glance. They gave me two (2) of them. I was full with the cheeseburger at the time and I almost refused them. "Take them!," they said. I am now glad that I did. I will sit somewhere and compose the letter to Karrie. She is all that; and a bag of chips... I will include a printout of this, to save writting; and probably have the first beer of the day. That will make me hungry. Thinking of Karrie makes me hungry; and thirsty for beer. I still miss her, especially when I am wringing out my pants after scrubbing them on the concrete in the park; with nobody to grab the other end and twist in the opposite direction...

And now, I hope to come up some, this being Saturday. If I can't come up with enough for an ID, so that I can apply for the oil cleanup job, then, my rig will have sunk for the time being...

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer Cornucopia?
    Yeah, that sounds right.
    -dv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Cornucopia?
    Yeah, that sounds right.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.