Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blue Mountain Dew

Countdown To Songwriting Contest: 10 Days
Last night, I reached the "5 day" point of abstinence from alcohol, at approximately 9 pm.
I played out on the street and reached the level of enjoyment which I previously had only been getting after imbibing.
Taking a break at one point, I felt a letdown, knowing that I wasn't going to follow my prior routine of going behind somewhere and drinking a beer. I decided to get a Mountain Dew (the blue kind) instead, and found myself just as joyful, as I walked to the Dauphin Store for that beverage; as much as I would have been in the past, when going for beer.
I made 31 bucks, and added it to the 13, which had slowly accumulated during the week. Subtracting the cost of two bottles of Mountain Dew, I woke up with 41 bucks. I went to church at the Dauphin Street Fellowship.
I was very tempted to add vodka to my blue Mountain Dew this morning. I didn't.
I ran into John the Preacher, shortly after making that decision, as I walked up Government Street, on my way to pick old newspapers out of the bin at the recycling place, so that I could do the crossword puzzles, (and catch up on old weather reports LOL..)
John had gotten up at 7 am,. and gone to the Presbyterian Bible Study, he told me; in hopes of saving at least just one of their souls. They are so friendly, and they give all the homeless people hard-boiled eggs and blueberries each morning, Monday through Friday, and it seemed a shame to John to let them spend an eternity in hell, just because they believe that once "saved," a person cannot loose their salvation.
Now, the Patriot's game is about to start, and I might try to find a bar to stand outside of and watch the game through a window, as I sip a store-bought Mountain Dew.
Work on my own songs is coming along promisingly. I play them on my spots and get tipped for them. I am seeing which songs it might be wise to play at the songwriting contest, by judging the reactions to them on the street. It is a feather in a busker's cap to get people to stop for more than 10 seconds to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.