Thursday, December 22, 2011

Same Old New Orleans

As I walked down Canal Street,
and saw the scowls on the faces of the people, and heard the brass band playing on the corner of Bourbon Street, the one with the saxophone player that physically attacked a musician who had the misfortune of choosing to play on that corner, not realizing that it was consecrated sacred ground, I realised that it had taken all of 10 minutes back in New Orleans to have the state of mind which I had left here, before going to Mobile for 2 weeks, revisit me like a mist blowing in off the river.
But, since my time is shorter on the computers here, I should get to the most important thing first.
I am smitten by a Japanese singer/songwriter who I heard on the mp3 player which I got in the parcel from Martin W., of West Virginia.
I am looking forward even more to a possible relocation to San Francisco, because it is closer to Japan and the probability of my running into a Japanese singer/songwriter would be higher there.
The mp3 player was sent with Ritsuko Okazaki (above) already loaded onto it, singing "For Fruits Basket," which is pretty beautiful, despite it having a few borrowed chords from "I Wouldn't Have Missed It For The World," by Ronnie Milsap. 
Last Night was dismal, as far as street performance went.
I went back to the music store to remedy the situation of having a "d" string performing in the role of a "g" string. The guy dug deeper into his single strings and was able to produce a string which is meant to be a "g" string, which I bought for $1.
I then went and made no money at all.
If I had to have a night where I made nothing at all, it was a good time to have it, as I still had about 20 bucks left from what Martin sent plus what I had made the night before on the mis-strung guitar.
The place where the
Japanese music originated from, uncannily enough.
I have gotten e-mails saying that some other stuff is on the way.
Mom mentioned wiring money, and a parcel has been sent from London, destined for the Rebuild Center. I am praying that it will not take 58 days to arrive, like one sent to Mobile last year. I got that "Christmas" package in February. It had postage marks from Mobile, Texas, Mobile, Ohio, Mobile, Tennessee and finally, Mobile, Alabama, or something similar, I recall...the postal service is going to go bankrupt if they continue such inefficiency.
I will have to see about arranging with the nuns at the Rebuild Center to forward it, should I be in California at the time of its arrival, perhaps by contacting the Lidgleys of London to see if they have a record of the weight of the box, and its approximate dimentions, so that I might get a pre-paid box which they could put the box inside of, and send off to San Francisco. Those nuns can work miracles.
Other than that, I am down to 21 minutes, the temperature outside has dropped about 20 degrees from the comfortable range of last night, dropping along with rain this morning. I'm sure my sleeping bag got wet, but, that is because I was too lazy to tote it around with me all day, and hid it in a bush.
Daniel and Ritsuko, itsu mo! (for all time)

2 comments:

  1. Well, I spent *my* day creatively, I got very drunk (and stuffed with food) with some Chilean friends. Today I learned: (1) that even after fucking DECADES in this country, they still can't speak English worth a shit, I mean, come on. This is how I know that I'd be similarly hopeless in say, Chile or Germany etc., which I guess is why I never left the US. And (2) Chileans make something called Pisco on which a person can get very drunk. It's basically distilled prison wine.

    Sometime During The Week (tm) I'll find out if my friend is going to drop a few hundys on me in which case I will get another goody box on its way to you, *with* a harmonica holder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a winemaker in jail. I used 20 oz. coke bottles with orange juice, apple slices and a few raisins, kicked off with a pinch of yeast from bread crust. I slept with the bottles stuffed under my jump suit, to keep them around 88 degrees; once released, I couldn't fathom ever drinking that on the outside; but then again, I have drunk Earthquake High Gravity Lager, which has "the taste of confinement" brewed into it; a reminder to behave the best I can; 12% alcohol not withstanding...
    I'll be in NOLA through the 9th, I assume..the last box took 6 days, I believe...(more on blog)

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.