Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Stairway To Heaven Test

Goodies From Gilroy
First, a special thanks to Alex in California, for the anticipated arrival of a package containing 3 sets of the good kind of guitar strings (which I will try to put an advertisement for soon, on this blog, :), as well as a USB cable, which will allow me to connect to the Sprint LG and post photos more relevant to the blog, being culled from the action of the stories in real time, depicting actual people and places involved.
Rain Hampers Evening
Second of all, Last night was a rain hampered occasion, when I spent more money than I made.
I am down to a gold dollar coin and some change, after one promising night, followed by 3 mediocre ones then one rained hampered debacle.
I really saw a ton of other buskers out there.
There was a guy sitting at my Decatur Street spot playing an electric guitar through a small amp. He had a stool, also, and seemed to be following the business model in which a stool functions as an important prop, like a stage. along with the amplifier, the better to hear you, Little Red Riding Hood.
His problem, and a big part of why he only made 6 dollars on the spot where I had made 20 the night before was, in my opinion, three-fold.
Despite the stool and the amp, and his addition of a third component; that of playing happy, uptempo, catchy and easily recognizable, his guitar was out of tune; the tone was dirty distortion -no; filthy distortion- and he didn't play particularly well.
I think the 6 dollars was "I always give the street musicians a little something every time I come here" money. 
I found a blog,
written by another "busker," apparently.
I have to take umbrage with what he said about "singing your own songs" in one of his posts.
The Green words are his:
Well you know I don’t encourage singing your own songs.



The obvious reasons are:

1. People tend to pay more easily when they hear a song they know.
He's is right there, but...
They indeed might be tipping the artist who wrote the song, or they might be using the song, which they know note for note, as a criteria for rewarding the busker based upon her meeting a certain level of proficiency on her instrument, let's call it applying "The Stairway To Heaven Test."
I've had many experiences like the young man in St. Augustine, Florida, who stopped and said "Oh, I've gotta tip David Bowie!," and then dropped a dollar in my case, which introduces one of my qualifications in agreeing with his point, i.e., People tend to give small tips "more easily" when they hear a song that they know.
2. A million great songs have already been written, so there’s no use to add mediocre ones.
This is based upon the premise, obviously, that your songs suck. If you believe this, then, of course don't do your own songs; and make sure you don't suck doing a million great songs, either, try to master one and repeat it, over and over.

3. Your own songs are probably too autobiographic, which means they make people sad. Sad people don’t pay.
Then why was "Tears In Heaven," by Eric Clapton, my top-grossing song over a span of time when I was putting a lot of my energy into learning it, when no less than three young ladies, on different occasions, sat down next to me with tears welling in their eyes, listened, and then gave me tips of up to 50 dollars?!? 
That's not one of my own songs, but, if my "autobiographical" songs are going make people sad like that then; bring it on!

4. You are a busker, not a singer-songwriter that can’t get a gig.
No Comment

5. Your own songs sound like the songs of artists you like. So why don’t you just play their music?
That also works in reverse, maybe this little story will illustrate my point:
I once was a teenager in an identity crisis.
My existence was fraught with insecurities and misgivings but, in Elvis Costello I saw  a role model; something attainable; and a way to rise above obscurity. He wore glasses, for crying out loud; just like me.
Hence, I wanted to sound just like him.
I sang along with his CD's repeatedly; in the car, where no one else could hear me, perhaps; learning to imitate him. Eventually, like the kids in third grade, who mastered the mimicry of Donald Duck, I succeeded.
Fast forward to 2012....
I'm playing one of my own songs, written back during that period when, the biggest fan of Elvis Costello in the world comes along. Can you see where this is going???
He has just eaten an excellent meal and drank a lot of fine wine with some other Fortune 500 CEOs, and is on his way back to the Hotel with the only misgiving that the music at the bar could have been better. The band really hacked up a Clash song, and only knew one Elvis Costello tune.
I guess that's what I get going to that kind of bar, he thinks, Turns out I didn't need to bring so much money to such a cheap place...still got hundreds left over... 
He hears me "singing my own song."
It reminds him of Elvis Costello.
"Do you know any Elvis Costello?" he asks
Two hours later, after I have played more than two dozen Elvis Costello songs for the guy and chatted with him while stuffing more than two hundred bucks in my pocket, I am done for the night, and on my way to the Marriot, where a room has been reserved for me, using his i-phone.
Nothing To Do But Keep On
It is now incumbent upon me to go out and play as long as I have to play to recover some sort of semblance of prosperity. It may involve sitting on Bourbon Street from, as soon as I get there after leaving this library, until whenever...
There is rain in the forecast.
Howard and I have found dry places to sleep, under the handicapped ramp, by the statue of Simon Bolivar. That solves a logistics problem, given the likelihood of rain in the coming nights.
I don't even think Sue, the Colombian lady, knows about this spot.

1 comment:

  1. The link you sent me gave me a blank page, that's the Internet for you! But, I've read this before, in my own searching around for buskers' blogs.

    I agree with his points. I also know if everyone followed 'em, there'd be few new songs.

    The time I played PVC flute in front of our local Nob Hill Foods, a lady tipped me because I played "Away In A Manger", a song she said she just plain loved. It also sucked a bit less than most other things, on PVC flute. Finally, I was run off, because I was playing a PVC flute.

    I may try a bit of tooting there today, ride my bicycle into town a couple of hours early, and play a bit. See if I get any tips. A shiny cornet is much more "legit" than a flute one has made from PVC found lying under a tree and an old wine cork.

    My lessons are costing me $30 each, basically. I'm paying $120 a month for a lesson a week, but on months where there are 5 weeks, it doesn't cost me any more. But $30/week is a good way to think about it. Can I make $30/week busking, with my intermediate-school-level skills? I say, Yes, I think I can.

    For new buskers like myself, stuff already written and tried-and-true is our best friend.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.