Friday, February 10, 2012

Perhaps, A Hat

Howard tapped me on the shoulder
And, to make matters worse, it's raining!
at 7:05 this morning, waking me up, as per our agreement and saying "It's 7:05, are you going to the Rebuild Center?"
I had wanted to do some laundry there, which requires signing a sheet of paper at 7:30 a.m. and then waiting to see if your name is one of the 12 or so selected. They can only handle so many loads per day.
Those whose names are not picked have to trundle their dirty clothes back to wherever they hide them, or carry them around, hoping for better luck the next day.
The "lucky" ones sit for up to 5 hours, wearing hospital scrubs if the clothes being washed are the ones off of their backs. The clothes are washed in the order that the names are drawn in the lottery, leading me to think that the nuns put the names on slips of paper to be drawn "at random" out of, perhaps, a hat.
This makes me wonder at least a couple things.
#1:do they blindfold the nun who draws the names out of the hat, spinning her around first, so as to remove the possibility of corruption?
Second, wouldn't the randomness of the process make it mathmatically possible that some poor, very unlucky; perhaps cursed; slob might never get his clothes washed -ever- and walk around the French Quarter stinking so bad as to be actually noticed above the stench of the Quarter itself?
These thoughts went through my addled, on only six hours of sleep, mind and I came up with a quick solution.
"Thanks for waking me up, Howard, but now that I think about it, I'm gonna just go up there around 9 for a shower and wash a set of clothes while in the shower, then come back here and hang them in the trees"
"OK," said Howard.
Phone Functional
While at the Rebuild Center, I got Sister Angie (-a sign of the times; when I was in Catholic schools, as a youngster, the nuns had nice biblical names, like Sister Mary Theresa; but I digress-) to plug my Sprint LG phone (the one that Sue wanted as ransom for the mp3 player) into an apropriate charger, and in doing so she, well, she resurected the phone, I guess would be the best way to explain it.
Now all I will need is a new USB cable, or to repair mine and this blog will once again have custom photos (not taken from Google), to go with the stories.

1 comment:

  1. I was by Git Center today, and found a package consisting of three(!) sets of those strings I sent you, plus a little chromatic tuner, for $15. So guess what I'm sending next? I know you don't need a tuner, so maybe you can trade it for something.

    I had my first real trumpet lesson today, I'm paying $120 a month for these lessons so I hope it's as worth it as I think it will be. This guy had me doing some real calisthenics. He also wants me to do the exercises LOUD.

    The end result should be: If you actually do find your way out here, we might be able to get a pretty decent guitar/voice/cornet sound together. By then, I should also have a car. I can show you the good busking spots I know of, I don't know of tons but I know a handful of good ones. I don't want to swear to 10X the income of your present places, but I will say with confidence, 5X.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.