Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Brazil Checks In (up)

  • Parts Of Latin America Reclaimed
  • Laptop Arrives
  • Busking For Bus Fare
 
As my "weekly" stats show, I have re-claimed parts of Latin America (ready to launch an offensive upon Paraguay and Uruguay).
Upon pondering my Brazilian "reader," though, I think it is someone related to Caveman Guru, the Shamin in New Orleans, whom I posted about, and who later confronted me on the street, demanding that I remove everything that I wrote about him -or "fix it" to reflect him in a more positive, non-Sue touching light.
They must have a direct link to just that post and must check it once a week, they don't check my daily "front page," and probably think that that particular post is my entire blog; they are probably somewhere around the rainforest, where the Shamin said that he was from.
I didn't actually delete the paragraphs about the Shamin, only cut them out and pasted them into a separate post, which I saved as a draft. I thought it was a humorous story, more about Sue, the Colombian lady than the guru, himself.
The guru had been telling people he met to Google him, to find out what he was "all about," expecting that they would be directed to his yoga and spiritual guidance stuff, and pictures of him in his cave, holding a picture of the Goddess Shiva; instead, my blog popped up higher in the search results and they read about our misadventure at his "shrine."
Its kind of an incongruity when someone whose "job" it is to guide people in connecting with the universe, gets in your face with his fists clenched, grabs you by the guitar case, to prevent your escape and then threatens you; but apparently he hasn't seen THAT post, published a few days after Sue and I's visit...
Back At LSU
Howard and I, (tigers at heart that we are) took the bus yesterday afternoon, out of Scotlandville, and back to the LSU campus.
I busked for about 45 minutes last evening, and got a five dollar bill, and a one dollar bill, then I heard the sounds of Leroy playing across the street, and decided to call it a night.
I had originally walked up to the spot where he plays in front of the Varsity Theater, around 9:30 p.m. There were standing around, a few college kids. I told them that I was thinking about playing there but that there was an older black guy who sometimes..
"Leroy!" a couple of them said in unison. "Yeah, he's pretty territorial, he would probably freak if he walked up and saw you playing here!" one of them continued. 
They added, though, that one can see him coming "a mile away," pointing in the direction of his nightly approach.
I decided not to put myself in a position where I would have to jump up, put away my harmonica, scoop up and pocket my tip money, put away the guitar and then run like a dog with its tail between its legs upon sighting 67 year old Leroy, ambling up Highland Avenue.
I went across the street and made the 6 bucks off of two of the few people that walked by. I was playing blues in the key of D, learning as I went on the harp, and managing to find some hellacious blue notes to "bend" to. "Leroy Blues," it was called...
I suppose it gets busier there, later on (hence Leroys ETA) but I sacrificed the extra couple of bucks I might have made, in exchange for a good nights rest, an early start, and a planned 5 hour computer session, working on a Flashback Friday feature, which I am publishing in installments (like Charles Dickens used to do, I like to remind myself :)
Laptop Pickup
I will soon leave here, in order to catch the Tiger Trails "teal" bus, which is free, and which will take me to within walking distance of the downtown post office where, it has been confirmed online that the package from Martin W. in West Virginia, has arrived, containing a laptop computer, and possibly a guitar strap.
Then, for all intents and purposes, it will be time to stand out on Airline Highway with a sign which reads "Port Allen Truck Stop," a specific and not-too-far-away location on the other side of the Mississippi River, where I am pretty confident that we can get a ride into Texas. There is no need to wait around Louisiana for "the other shoe to drop."
Flashback Friday
Coming Friday morning at 1 a.m. Central Standard Time, Chapter 4 of the saga of The Girl Who (Owned A House, Yet) Slept In A Mustang

3 comments:

  1. I really doubt the "shamin" was from anywhere in the rain forest, and I'm sure his motives have a lot more to do with drugging/robbing/raping his victims than with any sort of enlightenment.

    It sounds like you have a good plan. Are you going to actually hitch-hike WITH Howard in tow? Can you manage to catch a ride real quick-like while he's in the bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think that Howard wants to be helpful, he is so set in his ways, very hard to understand; I don't know about just ditching him, based upon the Golden Rule, how would I feel in his shoes; If he just disappeared without saying anything, I would probably look for him; even go to the police to see if they arrested him, and it would kind of disturb me and I would spend a lot of time thinking, maybe this happened or maybe that....but, ultimately I would leave messages with the people at Jack-N-The-Box, and McDonald to give him a message...I guess what I'm saying is that, until he actually becomes a millstone around my neck, I shouldn't treat him like one; when I finally get settled, I will probably go back to my solitary ways...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Except Howard isn't like a loyal dog, more like a cat. He kinda hangs around you but he does stuff like wander off leaving your backpack with all you own in a tree. If you disappeared he'd miss you for a morning or so, for a few minutes before wandering over to his favorite junk food emporium. In 3 days you'd be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.