Sunday, April 15, 2012

All Day Bus Pass

Howard chose not to join me in sleeping here, because someone
had urinated on him Friday night at the same spot,
and then thrown a cup of beer at him as his girlfriend was trying to
appologize: I said "Howard, what are the odds that the same guy is
going to come back tonight, and do it again?!?" 
Saturday was a whacky farce,
which had me spending as much time waiting for buses as riding on buses. It is a good thing they issue an "all day pass" 'cause, you're going to be spending all day, getting around.
I made it to The Guitar Center at about 7:11 p.m. I remember the time exactly, because, during the whole ride on the #45 Cantana Express (which gives a whole new meaning to the word express) I was watching the time thinking: "Wouldn't it be just the way this day has been going, if I get there right when they are locking up for the night."
I was especially thinking this when the driver, after arriving at the stop outside the Cox Communications building, and not seeing one of her regular passengers waiting there, became concerned, because he is apparently ALWAYS waiting there; and then took a few spins around the parking lot, making all of the other passengers, who don't give a rats ass about her "regular" buddy dizzy, and definitively answering the question for me of "Will I get to the Guitar Center by seven?" negatively. Like that guy just couldn't wait 45 minutes for the next #44 bus to come through, give me a break (he's probably the drivers oxycontin dealer or something...)
The store was open and I bought the next to the cheapest (which were Earnie Ball Earthwood) strings, which were, I forget, and strung them up on the ride back on the next #44 bus, after waiting for it almost an hour.
To make a long story short, the blues festival was over, by the time I got back down to 3rd street. It had run its gamut from spring to fall to Johnny Winter, and I sat down and played for a smattering of stragglers.
I could have probably played longer, for it seemed like the club scene had a life of its own, outside of Blues Festivals and all, but, by then I was basically intoxicated to the point where, after one girl gave me three bucks and told me I sounded good, and I was thinking the same thing (I had brand new strings, after all) I decided that that was all I really wanted out of life, a pretty blond to tell me I sounded good and put three bucks where her mouth was.
I went and slept at the St. Mark's Episcopal Church courtyard.
Tip #38: Episcopalians will never run you off of their property. They will never invite you to participate inside thier church to save your soul, either, but the two seem to trade off equally.
Tip #76: When you take your shoes off to sleep under the stars at night, tip them sideways, or upside down so that dew doesn't moisten them and result in the greater promotion of foot odor, since moisture plus heat are the ingredients which promote foot odor.
Tip #119: Don't buy cologne; go into Dillards (after you have hosed off behind some building [see tip #22])and walk up to the "try me" bottles, sitting on the glass counter in the cologne section, and try the darned things; try them a lot.
These will all be sidebars in my upcoming publication: "Homelessness For Dummies," or "Idiots Guide To Homelessness," depending upon which publishing house is the one foolish enough to take me up on the project...
if they can afford the book, then they can probably afford an apartment... 

2 comments:

  1. Do you know how to play keyboard too?

    It's funny, I got in a conversation with a guy I was in line with at Wal-Mart and he said he ALWAYS needed a keyboard player in his band when he had one. I thought there were a ton of 'em but according to this guy, not good ones. I think he means anyone can plunk around and sound OK but a guy with real musical knowledge is a different thing.

    I have two copies of "Adult Piano Adventures" now, one with the CDs and one without. If you follow my (boring) blog you'll know I got the one without CDs first then decided I want the one with CDs. So now I have this extra one, and if you get out here and want to play keyboards/piano, I'll give you one of these. Either the one with CDs or without, if it turns out I don't need the CDs so much, you'll get the nicer book. As for a keyboard, there are a lot of cheepees and for cheepees they're pretty good these days. There are a few used ones like the Yamaha P95 I'm getting, but they're spread out all over the friggin' bay area and with a used one, you never know what was spilled in it. And the price is not much lower than new. So for me, yeah I'm getting the $500+ one new thank you very much! But, for simple rootin' and tootin' on the street, the cheepees are smaller, light and portable. I may end up with one just to fuck around with on the street. And I should keep my eyes out for one and grab it for simple screwing around with, and if you get out here, I'll give it to you.

    The best living situation other than being housed out here is living in a car.Rabb1t of rabb1t dot com does it, and a car is much better than a backpack for storing guitars and keyboards and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of able to "sound things out" on a lot of instruments; and could probably play any Lionel Ritchie song if given the recording and a half hour; but...as long as there is Fredric Chopin music in existence, I would never call myself a pianist until I could (put myself in a trance) and play his stuff (the only way to make up for not having studied piano since the age of 5...requires supernatural phenomenon; channeling Freds spirit; Paramahansa Yoganadi type shit!! LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.