Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Rain Delay

  • Hitch Hiking Postponed
  • Data Traveler Not Found
  • Hitching Attempt To Be Today

This Really Bytes!
We will miss the Middleton library, open 'til midnight
on school nights...
The rain let up in the late afternoon and
I went to look for my 4 gig jump drive, with no luck. I even went to Dave's front porch and checked the sofa cushions.
I wandered around kind of thinking about what was on that stick, and determined that, the loss might not be as devastating as I initially thought. 
Out of the photos on it, the best ones have been posted on this blog, and can be retrieved. 
There were backups of this blog, stored in something like "atom" format (which I think compresses it and replaces the pictures with simple links to where they reside on Picassa Web Albums, making the entire backup something like 4 megabytes)
I tried to back it up at least once a month, in case there is a catastrophe like I had back in 2007, after I blogged from an "infected" computer at a homeless shelter, and Blogger removed my whole blog, claiming that they detected "malicious code" on it -it turned out that the "third party" hit counter was the culprit and was doing more than counting hits, but I was unable to get Blogger, which is owned by Google, to restore my blog.
Sorry Chuck
The Free Bus Was Nice
A group which formed to help people whose blogs had been removed accused me of trying to "phish" that very same group, based upon my "introduction" (which is customarily a short sentence) having run a couple paragraphs long, which I guess triggered some kind of phish alarm (I'm just a wordy guy, I mean look how long I'm already ranting about my data stick!!)
Also, I mentioned some of the famous artists whose songs I perform on the street, leading them to further think that I was up to something. I shouldn't have mentioned Brittany Spears. I guess trolls mention her.
Another thing that I did was to start a new "thread" on their bulletin board, rather than following the existing one which addressed the issue of having your blog removed; another no-no, I guess.
I will miss busking across the street from the Varsity Theater, 
and especially the trails made by the headlights of passing cars,
due to all that acid I took, back in the 80's...
When I told them that I (truly, at that time) didn't even know what a thread was, I saw a comment passed between the group members to the effect of: He's had a blog for 3 years and he doesn't know what a thread is? He's a Troll!! (I even now don't know what a troll does...hides under a cyber bridge and eats virtual children?!?)
The leader of that group, Chuck, said that he was going to Google away to see where else I may have posted, and to try to "shut me down" in all of my trolling endeavors -run me right off the internet. He said that he knew who I was, and even gave the screen name that I supposedly used to go by and said I'd been "trolling" for a long time.
I mention this, not only to make Orwell or Huxley fans say "I told you so," but to make the point that using the jump drive to back up this blog was probably its most important function.
Just ahead of using it to store the lyrics to about 32 of my songs.
About those songs; if I keep playing, they will come back to me, and if there are some that I totally forget that I even wrote, then I guess they aren't saying anything that I still want to say...
I will survive the loss of the 4 gig data traveler....
One additional side note: The very same Chuck, out there in California somewhere, has recently sent me "friend requests" on Facebook. His profile picture is the same one that he was using as the supposedly technically savvy and all-knowing leader of the "My blog has been removed unjustly" Google Group.
I'm not touching him with a 39 foot pole, sorry Chuck...
Let's Try This Thing
I now go to grab Howard and lead him on the one mile walk to where there is an on ramp to Rt. 10 west. There, I will play my guitar and harmonica with my case open and a sign, which is tentatively planned to read: "The General Direction of Texas."

1 comment:

  1. The Internet is *not* a friendly place. This is why I urge you to move to a locale where you can be happy and making musical progress even if the internet is completely shut down. It's been a bit of a lifeline for you but it won't be around forever.

    I used to make my living on Ebay. I got so sick of 'em (and sales got so bad) that, along with many others, I just went back to selling at flea markets. And on Craig's List but that can go away too. I also am a "picker" for some antique stores.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.