Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Latency? Let's Wait And See...


I read through all kinds of Audacity
Tutorials and "help forums" and the like, and I made a discovery which should solve my recent problems with the studio.
Latency Test
After reading about "latency," I recorded a click track on Track 1.
Then, I made a recording on Track 2 of the very same click track, by running my headphones, to the microphone.
I then played back the two tracks in parallel, and discovered that the clicks were 45 milliseconds apart, due to latency (the difference in time between a sound hitting the microphone and the computer actually recording it).
The two out of sync click tracks sounded eerily familiar in their disjointedness.
For the past month, every note that I played exactly on the beat was being delayed by 45 milliseconds before being placed in the recording.
I was jamming away, keeping time with the drums or click track, "feeling the groove," thinking "this is a really cool rhythm, I can't wait to add lead to it."
But Then, when I played back the first two tracks, the guitar had fallen behind by 45 milliseconds; not enough time to run to the store for a beer and back; but enough of a delay to make the guitarist sound like he has no rhythm, and make him want to run to the store for a beer, to help drown his anguish over how something could sound so good during recording, and then have the life squeezed out of it upon playback. 
When I DID go right to step 3, to add lead guitar, or bass or vocals, I couldn't feel the relationship between the drums and guitar because they were out of step, and it wasn't very inspiring of playing a good part.
The Audacity program has a setting for latency, which comes "from the factory" already set to correct a 130 millisecond delay. This may be tailored around desktop computers. 
I will either have to set mine to correct for 175 milliseconds, or just shift every new track that I make back in time, 45 milliseconds, manually. I've already tested the second method and it worked...
This comes just in time, as I have run out of money, my lighter died last night, the zipper on my guitar case has broken, and I will have to get out on the street and busk. At least I won't have to devote so many hours a day, trying to figure out the studio...

1 comment:

  1. Hey, looks like you might have solved your riddle; I've been cringing a bit; but I have to laugh because I know what you are going for; but frown 'cause you're not getting it yet; my studio is AlWAYS open to you; do you have a good enough disguise to come back to NOLA? LOL
    I hope to hear you again down here soon; the carriage drivers still talk about your mule song

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.