Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Grant Gives Me Serenity

The First Song with the "latency" problem corrected:
  • One acoustic rhythm
  • One Acoustic lead
  • One Harmonica
  • One Vocal
  • One Acoustic guitar dropped one octave in pitch to similate a bass guitar
The second guitar solo was run through a wah-wah effect that was so saturated that you can't really hear the original notes; I wanted to replace it with the last guitar part and then cut out the last part of the song, reducing its duration; but, at this point my prowess with the software could have resulted in an awkward glitch sounding at that point...so I kept it the same.
This raw "one-take" version, probably sounds like a lot of the stuff that I do on the street, after a few Sierra Nevada's...there is a spot where it kind of falls out, at one point, which is almost appropriate, too.

  • First 50 Dollar Bill
  • Latency Corrected Music
  • Wireless Working/ Upload Not 
Saturday, 4 p.m., Bourbon Street
I arrived at my spot earlier than I had ever, before, in my whole life.
It was still afternoon, and the shadow cast by the condo had just spread enough to cover the spot where I sat.
Two Shifts Of Buskers
There are "day shift" buskers, those who only play during day-lit hours, and there are enough of them out, on a given day, to lead one to think that it might be lucrative.
I found it to be just that, as people were, in broad daylight coming over to throw tips in my case. By the time the sun went down, I had over 20 bucks. I wound up with right around 35 for the day, which ended at around 11 p.m. after the Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA Ale's started to catch up with me, and I stumbled on a couple notes on the guitar. The 90 degree day was a factor, I'm sure.
I could have moved down from the condo and probably doubled my take for the day, but, after not having slept much, in my excitement over encountering Sue, the Cambodian lady (Formerly known as Sue, the Colombian lady), and having started earlier than ever before, I ran out of gas at 11 p.m.
I didn't even lay down next to Sue that night, as I was ready to fall asleep as soon as my head hit the backpack.
Grant's First Appearance
Sunday, I started early, once again.
I was getting a smattering of single bills thrown in my case.
At one point, a group of people arrived. 
One guy in kind of a Hawaiian/vacation-looking shirt stopped and listened to whatever I was playing. He then requested that I play some blues, but then back-pedalled and said "Just do what you do..."
I played "Me And My Uncle," the Bob Weir-sung Grateful Dead "cowboy" song.
Then, the man asked me to play some blues.
Havin' A Fifty-Plus Dollar night
I played the basic rhythm to "Pride And Joy," the Stevie Ray Vaughn shuffle in E, and the guy sang over it, improvising lyrics to the amusement of the group of people that he was with. One couple threw three bucks in my case, the other couple matched it, both thanking me.
Then, the guy in the Hawaiian shirt stood up, and thanked me, told me that he had "really enjoyed that" and handed me the first 50 dollar bill that I have ever gotten from busking...in my whole life...
I finished the day with about 80 bucks, having gotten a little bit "lax" after having my concerns about money and my guilt over paying 2 bucks for a beer, assuaged...
Now, It Works
The laptop, as mysteriously as it started to fail to connect to any wireless signal, has started to function again, as if the computer knew that Sue, the Cambodian lady had checked two books for me, out of the New Orleans Public Library, both of them about Ubuntu Linux, and one of them delving into some serious shell scripts, having to do with  running the wireless related hardware.
So, against that inner voice of "better judgement," a voice which has taken on a cocky tone lately, after being right about the decision to post past music, I am trying to post the first latency-rectified song, but am getting an object Object I/O error message.
The two mp3 files that I saved most recently, won't upload to the hosting site.
The only thing I did differently was recording them as the new user that I had created, after the program had locked up for the other users.
Maybe there are "permissions" on the files, or something.
In one hour, Howard and I will catch the bus back to Baton Rouge, where I had hoped to get in some serious studio time, before returning here next Friday to do another weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, NOLA is home for you. You've mentioned many a time that the street noise is such that, people don't hear you, just see you. They're eating with their eyes. As long as they can't hear what you really sound like, you can cash in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say, you got a nice blog article.Thanks Again. Much obliged.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.