Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wireless Not Enabled

So, now that I have a song recorded that actually sounds good,
my laptop will not connect to the wireless network.
The "Enable Wireless" bar on the menu is grayed out.
So, I can't post up the latest music...but I can create more in hopes that the problem will be solved.
So, you're back in my world, guitar man...good...
And I can go back and delete the stuff that I put up before I figured the latency problem out.
It's always something, it seems. Like a cosmic joke. I work around the clock on a piece of music, then my computer won't connect to the wireless network, when, just a while ago I was connecting from behind the boarded up building, using a signal that was coming from the LSU stadium, I think...
I worked around the problem with Audacity by creating a new user account and then copying all the Audacity files for that song into the new users folder. Then I could get at them, as the other guy.
Still, the computer is running more slowly now, and now I can't connect to wireless.
This is the reason that I want to go back to college to get a degree in Information Technology -just so I can understand my laptop....
New Orleans
Howard is going to meet me tomorrow morning at the boarded up building, and then we are going to take the bus to New Orleans, supposedly for a day; or two.

4 comments:

  1. I am not to good with ubuntu linux, but i do want to point out, and it probably isn't this, but there is a physical wireless on/off toggle button on that thing somewhere (the front?) and there has been a time or two I have hit that sucker on accident and not known it.

    Are you picking up wireless anywhere or just not in that location? Can you see networks but are just unable to connect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspected the physical button on the front of the computer, the one that flashes red when I am connected to wireless; kind of like the "modem" light on this library computer that flickers when the computer is "waiting for..." some website...yeah, I thought about the Acer Inspire 3600 manual as a good thing to look for, for example, I was squinting at the screen for a couple of weeks before discovering the blue "fct" (function) button which can be held down and then the "symbol of the sun" button pressed and, presto, the screen brightens...
    the message I get is that wireless has been disabled "by hardware" or something, which suggests that button, and given the fact that even when I try to "shutdown" the yellow light is still on perpetually, even the next day when I take the thing out of my backpack..I seem to be able to hibernate and suspend, but the thing never seems to totally shut down...yeah, the manual might be my next stop...
    or, a usb cable to load my songs into the library computer and then blog them from there, in the meantime...I thought some website might have sent me a virus to fry the internal wireless card, but I never smelled burning silicon, so...I think the solution might be right in front of my face (literally, given the toggle switch' location)
    This is probably a cosmic test of my fortitude, having to record music on the faith that I WILL get it posted eventually; in the meantime, how many people are chancing upon my blog and then hitting the back button after 5 seconds of my existing music? I suppose it will be extra gratifying if and when someone say's "wow, that sounds so much better; I was convinced that you sucked!"
    I am not picking up wireless anywhere, and in fact the (annoying) little box that says Ubuntu connection established and then a few minutes later, "Ubuntu disconnected; you are now offline" and "always" popped up right over the spot on the Audacity screen that I was trying to look at, is not popping up any more...I think it might be the button; and as far as "accidents" the thing is being jostled in my backpack, competing for elbow room with harmonica holders and mosquito repellent and (though it is still in the box that it was sent in, with the same protective wadding -except that which I had to use to wipe..well, that's to much information, but) the switch may have very well have gotten switched "off" especially if the thing was never really shut down, only hibernating...(would it come back on at the end of the winter if left in that state?...hmmm)
    But, I'm not going to give up and am acquiring a pretty good education in the field of computer technology in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you can shut it down, you just have to tell ubuntu to do that rather than just close the lid (which is sleep mode). Or 'restart'. Some option like that is present im sure, just like in windows.

    It might be a good idea to restart the computer anyway. If you have to, just unplug it from power and slide out the battery. Then paper clip it back on. That may even solve you wireless problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great article.Really thank you! Want more.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.