Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Locust, Howard?"

Ted Has No "Time" For Me...
Tonight
Partly Cloudy 36 °F
Partly Cloudy
I have attributed the psychological turmoil that I have been beset with to the fact that I have been using a caffeine laden drink to quench my thirst in the middle of the night, before returning to sleep, whereupon the stimulation to my cerebral cortex triggers the most annoying and irrational dreams, most of which involve the resurfacing of memories which I had buried in my subconscious (except for the re-currant nightmare where I somehow had tossed and turned and slid and squirmed my way onto the railroad tracks, and as I let the rumble from the diesel sooth me into a deeper sleep I am ground up and the mockingbirds fight over the choicest morsels) -THAT one isn't so irrational.
I have found two old acquaintances on Facebook and have sent them "friend requests" which have been ignored for at least the past month.
This has put the circuitry of my brain to work, in search of reasons for my being eschewed such.
I have found plenty, by digging up fossils from the deepest layers of memory and it has not helped my self-esteem.
One friend (shown with his homeboy), I worked with at my first "job" when I was aged 11 through 15.
We were both musicians, although he was much more accomplished on the keyboards and could play "Moonflower," by Santana, for example while I wasn't playing "Moonflower" but was telling (fooling) myself (into thinking) that it was because I didn't want to play it, rather than face the possibility that I wouldn't be able to if I tried.
Ted, as that is his name, was an A student, and the son of a very proud Greek man, who seemed to instill a drive for achievement in his son.
Where They Clean The Carts...
Ted was a pretty good golfer, and would have to give me one stroke per hole in order for us to have a competitive match.
We worked at the local Country Club, cleaning clubs, loading and unloading carts; cleaning carts and keeping their batteries charged etc.
The job was kind of a training ground for us to learn how to achieve success in life in general, by modeling the behaviors of the wealthy club members, who were a cross section of Who's Who, in our city of 45 thousand inhabitants.
Our boss, PGA Professional, Jim O' Leary (shown with his own timepiece) strove to be a positive motivational influence upon us. We wore Izod shirts and slacks, just like the members did, were clean cut, and said "Yes, sir" and "No sir" and it was the norm to memorize the names of each member (and their wives names) and to use them liberally.
"Good morning, Mrs. Debitteto! Will you be playing today? Would you like an electric cart, or will you be pulling your clubs today?"
You've got to be shitting me;
sleeping under a holly bush?
Our boss expected us to keep busy...When you're standing still, you're moving backwards...and to keep a positive attitude...Our attitude towards life determines lifes attitude towards us....and to keep the whole operation spit-shined..."I've never been to a coarse where they cleaned the carts," exclaimed one guest from another coarse once.
So, with all this excellent mentoring, which Ted seemed to have taken to heart -graduated near the top of his class; went to a fine technical college to study Computer Science; and the last I heard (from a CPA, who wouldn't give me any exact figures, but who handled his tax filings and WOULD tell me (rub my nose in the fact) that he was doing "quite well," It is quite possible that Ted views me as some sort of utter failure and a pariah to never "friend" on Facebook, out of fear of "failure by association."
Classes Are Filling Fast...
According to Facebook, he is running his own golf school near Orlando, Florida.
He must have parlayed the "well" that he quite did into investing in that school.
Now he hob-nobs with Tiger Woods, slaps V.J. Singh on the back, and wouldn't dream of any of them confronting him with "Who's the homeless guy who keeps writing on your wall?"
Where is Jim O' Leary when I need him?...You can have success in one facet of life, but be a failure in the most important aspect, Daniel, such as being a gentleman enough to at least acknowledge someone who acknowledges you on Facebook; someone who was and is a part of your life and helped shape you into what you are; regardless of whether or not you want to admit it....
Thanks, Jim.
Other than that; It was too cold to busk this morning.
I have sunken to "Broke with strings ready to follow suit" status again, and my plan is to take advantage of the few warmer days which the weather report promises; in order to have traveling money; then to hit New Orleans, where I can hopefully have the check from the Baton Rouge jail mailed to; along with a power adapter for the Samsung, should I come up with enough money this weekend to put those two things in motion.
Then, after a little busking in The Big Easy, hopefully ease on out in search of a nice desert to pass the worst of the winter in; fasting and praying and living on locusts covered in honey, until some sort of revelation as to where to go from there occurs...
"Locust, Howard?"
"No, I think I'll just go to Jack-In-The-Box. Thanks, though..."

3 comments:

  1. OK it seems I can reply here again ... for now ...

    First, I want to say this is a great post. I had no idea you had this "Caddyshack" background. That's cool.

    I don't understand though, how'd you and your friend end up so different? For starters, I doubt your friend's drinking beer for breakfast. There's that right there. You have a real work-ethic when it comes to playing music, but somehow it's not getting matched to the public well.

    My own music playing doesn't match to the public well because I'm not good yet. But in your case, I doubt you hit the wrong chord or sing a flat note, you've done each song too much. I think it's a matter of "guy sitting on the ground playing guitar and singing like 10,000 other guys" syndrome.

    Anything, anything at all, you can do to change your image, may help a lot. I remember reading online about a guy with a Martin Backpacker guitar who did well, not because the Backpacker sounded good, they don't, but because of the different appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Ted seems to want to become Jim O' Leary, or in his case Jimmy The Greek LOL!
    He never was that creative and I always thought he at least admired that trait in me; in fact I was the one that gave him the name for his first "professional" band. After thinking for about 15 minutes; The name? "Oracle," and I wasn't even *consciously pandering to their Greek Pride in referencing The Oracle Of Delphi. Thanks, Daniel, (but don't expect me to friend you on Facebook 35 years from now)
    I would have expected him to consult me on the name for his golf school...hmmm...I don't know, The Oracle Swingers Academy? There you go, Ted...just introduce me to Flavor Flave when the "time" comes..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creativity is a negative personality trait in our society. Even my own desire to be creative as far as being in tech was a horrible thing to let have any rein.

    The way to go would have been to stay in the Army for 20 years or go to work for the gov't somehow, the water treatment plant or something.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.