Saturday, May 18, 2013

Count The Miles

Got this Broughey song stuck in my head now, "Next Door To Heaven."
The song (available in yesterdays post) is kind of like if U2 decided to cover a Pink Floyd Song, but got a very depressed David Cassidy to sing instead of Bono.
That being said, Ted is one of my most cherished friends; going back to High School; and as such I gave the song the extra opportunity to endear itself to me by playing it repeatedly through my little mp3 player, giving it every chance to grow on me, and it is stuck in my head now...
As I sit here at the library, Tanya and Dorise are out in the hot sun on Royal Street; "making bank," as the vernacular would have it.
I had about 17 people tip me as I played last night on Bourbon Street.
The new guitar sounds great; and it also paid off to have abondoned the 20 improvisations over the chords of a Grateful Dead song (chords which are only in my head) in favor of just good ol' Eagles songs like Tequila Sunrise and other good ol songs like that...
17 people showed their appreciation; but it was all for 17 dollars, as I got "singled."*
*I want to coin that phrase if it doesn't already exist: "Singled:" Earning just one dollar and only one dollar from every tipper on a given evening, so that the number of tippers can be determined by counting the number of dollars.
That was kind of a bummer in more than just the pecuniary aspect; it made me feel like I didn't really kick ass in my music; not even for 5 minutes out of the 2 hours that I played. There's a feeling you get when you really nail something; and I thought I played some cool stuff; but "the 20 dollar man," didn't show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.