Monday, June 3, 2013

The Fallout From The Weekend

It is Tuesday.
Health And Fitness
This morning, I ran to the little store in 4 minutes and 56 seconds; the exact same time as the day before...
I Google-mapped the route and it appears that it is about 2/3 of a mile from the Louis Armstrong statue, where I start; to the little store where I stop for a minute to get and energy drink; and then jog back to the stand of cedar trees.
I am running the mile at about a 7:30 pace.
(When I was 16, I ran my "best" mile in 5:03)
Exercising early (about 7:30) gives me the double blessing of cooler temperatures; and the fact that Rob is still under the cedar trees; "watching" my stuff (while he sleeps).
Weekend Update
All weekend, the weather did basically the same thing each day: rain and then stop, and then rain again; driving the street performers to move all their stuff under cover. Twice.
After I rented the Jasmine guitar on Saturday to the Swedish guys, Jon and Mats, I went and played on the Bourbon Street spot.
One of the occupants from a condo nearby arrived and checked his mailbox right behind me.
I was playing a Barbra Streisand song; something that might have surprised him.
He emerged shortly thereafter and threw 5 bucks in my case while asking very nicely if I would stop playing at midnight.
"Yes, sir, no problem!" (I could just  move 50 feet down towards The Blacksmith Tavern).
Then, Lillian arrived around 11 p.m. with her two daughters in tow.
They are aged 11 and 14, approximately.
The younger one is named Angelique and has a pretty face.
Lillian, the mother, who is Spanish, occupies the condo to which I would move in front of at midnight.
Lillian likes my music, and often has stood and listened.
"You should sit on my step; I don't mind..."
Her step is a bit in the shadows, closer to the tavern.
The Spotlight
The spot I like is right under (an antique) lamp post which is like a spotlight on me and seems to bring out the moth in people, as they come out of the shadows to tip.
Angelique has been giving me smiles since the "Your daughter is very pretty" comment of about 2 weeks ago which I made to her mother.
Lillian Bloom
Lillian seems to like to walk around the Quarter with her daughter(s), returning around 11 p.m. since she has to be up at 6 in the morning to bring them to some school which makes them wear plaid skirts and white blouses.
She mentioned that she needed to go right to bed.
Last week, she showed up wearing a low-cut dress which flattered her; and seemed to be in good spirits, perhaps due to spirits. Someone might have thrown a Hand Grenade at her that night, or maybe a Cobra bit her...
That particular night, I felt like there was some chemistry between us; though it could have been my imagination.
When Sue and I sat together on that spot, about a year ago, now, she and Lillian had a long conversation in Spanish while I played music 50 feet away.
I found out later that Sue had told her that she and I were "just friends."
Now, I run into Lillian pretty frequently.
(P)lush Life
I was playing a heavy rotation of "Plush," by The Stone Temple Pilots, the song which Tanya and Dorise were franticly learning from the Swedish guys who rented my old guitar the day before, due to a request for it.
In helping to teach it to them; I recalled it to myself.
You're Only As Old As You Feel
It had been filed in my memory under "Songs of 1996" along with a bunch of other assorted stuff.
Playing it made me feel like I was 34 again, and reminded me of how much energy I used to put into my music back then; and made me wonder: "Was I trying harder then than I am now?"
I used to do a good version of it (in my humble opinion) and I actually had to put a lot of energy into my vocals in order to recapture the sound I had 15 years ago....
I made half of my tips off of that song and almost another half off of Dear Prudence, by The Beatles.
And that is how I turned a Monday night into a positive cash flow, and this is the first Tuesday (today) upon which I woke up with more money in my pocket than I had the day before.
I bought some Elixir strings off of the grizzled old guy on the corner of Iberville and Royal (I keep forgetting his name; it might be Glenn) for 11 dollars, and still had about 20 left.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.