Thursday, August 24, 2017

Looting Skeezers

The screws turned.
Reporting live from the kratom bar...



The 3 dollar screwdriver from the dollar store, the one that included the strange 6-tipped screw head which isn't a Phillips head, fit like a hand in a glove, and the screws in the plywood sealing an entrance to the abandoned building that used to be a rectory, (above) turned quite easily, as if the wood around them had begun to rot perhaps a bit.


I left a couple of them in there to hold the plywood in place, since I'm not ready to go in there just yet.


The next phase of the operation will involve the actual door that is behind the wood. I'm hoping that the plywood had been nailed in place because otherwise one could open the door and walk right in..


The church has been abandoned since hurricane Katrina, after probably having been looted by skeezers hoping to find golden chalices, or statues they could pawn; or, more optimistically and to give the skeezer more credit, by one who wanted to have the biggest friggin' squat of all, and who found a way inside and began living in there.

"All I really found, that I can use,
was this handkerchief..." -looting skeezer

I don't know the specifics of the local post-Katrina history, but I know that more than half of the population never came back, after having gotten the hell out of here, and recent events have provided evidence that would suggest that this particular neighborhood, is prone to flooding, to say the very least and; since our building had a 2 foot deep moat around it on all 4 sides after a heavy rainfall; it would seem likely that, with the levy breaking, this area would be a candidate for the 12 foot deep waters of lore.


It also wouldn't surprise me if that cash strapped institution, the Catholic Church, didn't see that particular act of God as an opportunity to dump off a property that they might have been heavily in arrears upon. I can remember sitting somewhere in some huge, ornate Catholic church and having it whispered to me by someone in the know, something like: "This church is 450 thousand dollars in debt..."


But, the buildings that are Sacred Heart Apartments, had apparently been "Malta Place, senior residence" before the hurricane.


I've actually made myself curious and might look up some kind of flood map to see how deep the waters actually got here, where Sacred Heart Apartments now sit. I know such maps exist because I saw one somewhere when I had been staying at Leslie Thompson's place near the University of New Orleans about 8 miles to the east of us. Leslie Thompson's whole neighborhood was shaded a greenish blue, to indicate that it had been in about 10 feet of standing water, I remember seeing; and thinking that it seemed appropriate that such a depreciated property would be seen fit for the likes of Mr. Thompson, an his mental disabilities.


You've just read: 473 words. POWERED BY ↁ DANIEL-SOFT TEXT SOLUTIONS ↁ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.