Monday, February 26, 2018

Birth And Rebirth

  • Laptop Dies
  • Laptop Resurrected
  • Laptop Dies Again
  • Laptop Currently Resurrected

I found a white Styrofoam container which I was not too ashamed to go over and look in, even though I was in public and the reason that it had sat there so long was probably that everybody else "...can't have people seeing me in these nice clothes looking for food on top of a trash can..." apparently had let it be.
The food was still warm, was rice with fried ham shanks, I think, along with some other meat, a compartment of mac and cheese, and a third compartment containing cabbage, boiled in water which would eventually leak out into my backpack and put my laptop out of commission.
Yeah, I got it home and noticed that it had gotten "a little bit of cabbage juice" on it, on one of the outside corners.
I wiped it off and fired it up, whereupon it half came to life and then died.
An ensuing investigation led to the the discovery that, if I gently whacked the thing while holding it at a certain angle, cabbage juice veritably squirted out of the fan vents.
But, after leaving it open with a fan blowing on it for a whole night, it came back up.
I put it in my back pack and brought it to the Uxi Duxi, where it was dead upon arrival.
Some of the cabbage water, which had receded enough to have allowed me to fire it up the first time, had probably pooled again in the same corner en-route, due to the way it sat in the bag, causing the same symptoms.
I reasoned that, if the thing had come up and run normally, then nothing more than the power supply would be the problem, and I went to sleep thinking I would use one of the library computers to order a new power supply for the thing.
I woke up to find that it started up again. There is a bright glowing spot on the corner of the screen where the cabbage water must have penetrated to.




1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've adopted a rule long ago that any kind of food package, I put in a plastic bag so any leakage is contained, if it's going to go int a backpack, bike bag, etc. If there's any doubt, I'll carry it outside said bike bag etc. I always carry a spare plastic bag or two with me anyway. If it's just cabbage water, it should eventually dry out.

    My own laptop is developing the dreaded loose power connector. No outages yet, but I should open it up and re-solder it.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.