Monday, April 2, 2018

Sunday Night Shakes Out

Sunday night, I got to the Lilly Pad to discover a violin and banjo combination, a couple early 20's guys who had long hair both on their heads and their faces.
They sounded pretty good, considering it's a violin and a banjo, one of which is hard to play with perfect intonation and the other a plunky hillbilly sounding thing...
I walked over and broke the ice with: "This is the only spot that I have permission to play at."
One of them said: "You don't need permission, just set up anywhere..."
But then the second one told him: "No, this guy plays at this spot like every night; it's kind of his regular spot..."
I then told them that I had started playing on the block 6 years ago "Under that lamp post," then told them about having become acquainted with the residents, especially the lawyer who slept in a room right behind the lamp post.
When I got around to Lilly, the second one said: "Yeah, I talked to that lady, and she did mention you..."
So, they were cool enough to try to ply their trade elsewhere. Given that they had been sitting in relative darkness, and knowing now what I didn't know then -that it was going to be a slow night- it's easy to imagine that they hadn't made enough money to make them think they were at a good spot.
I only went on to make one dollar in the hour and a half after they left.
One of them asked me if I had any weed to sell and I should have tried to get 5 bucks from them for less than half of what I paid 10 for; but wasn't a quick enough thinker...probably because of the weed...

On Location

I just finished shooting a short video of myself playing outside the Uxi Duxi. This is a test run for shooting on location, in general. The smartphone (if it ever comes) might be a great tool in that regard.

I can load the video into Audacity, which will reveal only the audio, which I can manipulate endlessly (in effect singing and playing over it and then substituting those tracks for the ones that have loud traffic noises in the background) and then load that produced audio into Openshot along with the original video shot outside the Uxi Duxi and the two will syncronize and, well, hopefully tomorrow's post will have "a video" which will hopefully reveal the potential in this marvelous technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.