Saturday, June 23, 2018

A Very Busy Unemployed Man

25 Dollar Friday

I woke up wondering if I should go back and edit what I wrote yesterday. I realize that some immigrants are truly fleeing from rape and kidnapping and murder, and some of them have forked over their entire life savings to the cartels in exchange for "safe passage" here, so I rescind my description of them as being "stupid."

I got to the Lilly Pad at around 11:20 and actually played for about 3 hours, making the above amount.
The usual urge to leave after an hour and a half when the joint I smoked while tuning up wears off never arrived, because I hadn't had any weed.
I didn't think I was playing very well, but also knew that the weed makes me sound better to myself, and gives the illusion of helping me focus.
It actually scatters the mental energy, making it harder to "rise above thinking," as the thoughts become exaggerated in their significance; i.e. something that seems really clever might not be that funny in the morning, type of thing.

I bought a can of cat food, a cup of coffee, a one dollar cigar as a pack of cigarettes substitute.

I still need toilet paper, kitty litter, shaving cream and kitchen and bath cleaning spray with bleach.
I started a load of laundry for $1.25 before coming here to the Uxi Duxi to spend 4 dollars, after stopping for an energy drink at GNC for $2.60. Then, as often happens when I have money, the guy at GNC showed me a couple cans of said energy drink that had become mangled, which he offered me at half price, which I "couldn't refuse" because I'm going to spend the $2.60 anyways.
And now Bobby is calling me telling me that he is in the rarely occurring situation of being broke right now. I suppose I will go and give him the rest of the money I have.
My strings were breaking last night, I repaired 2 of them in the middle of playing. My spotlight is dim...I will need to get a 4 pack of AA batteries while I'm picking up kitty litter and toilet paper...I'm a very busy unemployed man these days...

2 comments:

  1. On batteries ... I've recently discovered that lithium batteries might cost say, $1.50 apiece, but last like 3X as long as plain alkalines at say $1 apiece.

    I'm going to use up the alkalines I have now, then probably just use lithium batteries.

    As for the trumpet mouthpiece, hey it's a Bach, about $60 new, hang onto it and maybe some time in the future you'll decide to give a brass instrument a try, or you'll come across someone who will swap you a guitar or an amp or something for it.

    If it says "Mt. Vernon" on it or anything about New York, it can be worth a hell of a lot more. But I'm assuming it's just a piece a high schooler would buy, made in the last 50 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Lithium batteries, if found at the dollar store might be about twice as much; but, I get about five hours out of the pair that I use, before I become aware that a certain amount of fading has occurred, then they will stay on and throw weak light for maybe another eight hours...If I changed them every 4 hours, I could stay lit up like a jewelry case; then I could start changing my strings every single night ala Johnny B. and then get a dinner jacket and....no, wait.
    I might have to revise my ad on craigslist to feature the Bach brand name, then my ad might pop up on the page of someone looking at that particular kind of trumpet....people who viewed this, also viewed....
    I literally have not tried to get any sound out of it yet...it seems to me like it will be something like playing a note through the cap off the top of an acorn; or whistling through your fingers; I don't think I'm evolved enough in that direction; but, who knows, maybe I'm the next Ornette Coleman but don't realize it yet LOL
    P.S. I think he plays sax, but, anyway

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.