Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Slow Moving

  • Uxi Duxi Shut Down
  • Response To Comment
  • Time To Sell Plasma?
As I arrived at the Uxi Duxi at about 4 PM this past Sunday, Dom was just locking the place up.
Oh, what great timing, he's just leaving to take his one hour break, or to run home to grab a different shirt, I thought. 
The store was dark inside, all the lights having been turned off, even the little lit up pyramids that sat on the tables. It was as dark as an octopus' ink in there.

Dom informed me that the Uxi Duxi was closing at that minute and would remain closed, "for the next couple days," he said.

He wouldn't elaborate, and I wouldn't really expect them to have given him any of the details, for some reason. "It has to do with the office..." was as close as Dom could come to explaining anything.

My initial guess was that it had something to do with legalese, perhaps someone had gotten in using a fake ID, or some minor had been sent in by the law to illegally purchase CBD dabs, or that some medical advice had been dispensed by one of the barista's which turned out to be bad advise, and now the person is suing the place... 
The selfish side of me thinks that it is God's way of forcing me off of kratom, which He has suceeded in doing these past 3 days. I do feel a bit less depressed these past couple of them...

I would have posted, and answered a comment yesterday, one which I received a few days ago, but the wireless at the Rouses Market started to malfunction. I still sat there and wrote offline.
On the subject of the wi-fi at Rouses:

There is a problem with the wi-fi here, at the Rouses Market.

I can't help think that someone who has access to the router button shut the connection off, upon seeing only myself in the place.

Paranoia, on my part? Possibly, but...
That particular Rouses Market is run by an almost all black staff. 

I have been able to sit for a while, using their wi-fi, but those were only times when there were black people in there using it at the same time.

This is the third time that I have been booted off, and each time, "It" was only my white self in there, to use a common corruption of the language.

What's to stop some racist night manager from going into the office behind the customer service desk and accidentally flipping the router off?

So, right now, I am testing them, in a way, by typing this entry into my text editor, offline.

Black people can be incredibly obtuse; witness the two thugs whom I encountered in Mobile, Alabama, who were standing nearby where I was busking, near the end of a night when I had done pretty well and had, what probably looked like a fortune to them, in my guitar case.
"He leaving!!" I heard one of them say, his voice quite audible, just as I began to put my guitar in its case.
Of course this raised a red flag, and "he" left by an alternate, and much safer route than "he" would have, had "he" not heard that blurted out.
I wondered if their folly was even evident to them -if the other one said (yelled) at him later, "You need to learn when to keep your voice down, [insert street name here], I think he heard you and that why he went that other way!"- or if they were just that obtuse, and wondered how their plans went awry.

So, in this spirit, I felt that, if I kept pecking away at my keyboard, as if there was nothing wrong, I would elicit some tell-tale reaction from someone in a Rouses uniform, perhaps perplexed expressions, perhaps the big guy going back into the office as if to see if he had hit the right button, or, should they be as obtuse as the fellows in Alabama, one of them saying to another: "It should be shut off!" with easy to read lips, or perhaps even audibly to me from where I sat 75 feet away, or at least them staring straight at me in tandem with twin "Huh?" looks on their faces. ...we shut it off, wht he doin'?


As I have seen nobody sitting around grinning, apparently enjoying seeing my distress as I repeatedly fail to connect to the Internet, now I am just waiting for a black person to hurry up and arrive to use the wi-fi, so that they might snap it back on.


It is plausible that they would know nothing about working offline, if poking a smartphone with their thumbs is the extent of their experience with computers.


So, I will answer the comment today...Tue, July 3red, 2018

Comment:


You really think a book written by James Michener was written, in secret, perhaps, by Robert Michum?

You really think "conscience" and "conscious" are the same thing?

By the way, where's your damn dog? 


@Alex In California

The spell checker probably gave me the spelling of the word "conscious," because of the way I misspelled "conscience." That shot in the dark, may have fallen closer to the first word.

Sure, Blame It On The Keyboard...
 
And that might have been the fault of my keyboard, with its half dozen keys that are useless, and its others that stick at random times, as if the cockroaches that have crawled inside from my apartment keep shifting their positions and will ultimately wind up camped in the z and x key area where they will be bothered a lot less than in the area under the e key, but will be further away from the cooling breeze of the fan...

Then, in my haste to get the laptop folded up and be on my way, I accepted the "correction," thinking that I had just misspelled a word and that the computer would fix it; without stopping to looking at what context it was in.

I've seen a lot of "Frequently Misspelled Words" lists, so that I can document how many attendants were in attendance and what they attended to, but, that one might have slipped past my consciousness.
 

Maybe I can write a patch to the Google spell checker module to make sure that a user is warned when he has misspelled a homophone (words that are pronounced the same but have different spellings).

Homographs: words spelled the same as each other but pronounced differently.

Examples:

Wind -Stand out in the wind and wind your watch.

Lead -"I will lead you to the lead mine."

Address -I will address the assembly at the following address, perhaps wearing a dress.
Homophones: words spelled differently but pronounced the same. Example: Pleas, and Please

Homonyms: words that are both spelled and pronounced the same as each other, yet have different meanings.

Example: bank -the edge of a river, a building where money is kept, to carom a basketball off the backboard, etc. 


We have entered the smartphone era, where even the next possible word in a sentence you might be composing in a text message is suggested to the writer.

If I were to compose a text with a sentence that started: "Tonight I hope to be at the" my smartphone will offer me the opportunity to insert "Lilly Pad" as the next word, based upon a data-base of words I've used before, which is taking up 24 killobytes of my phones storage.

I don't think many other Galaxy users would see that suggestion. Unless they are frogs that have learned to text with their webbed toes.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I suppose, since I might one day proffer this blog as some sort of resume in hopes of landing a professional writing gig, I could be more careful, and maybe proof-read posts twice.
I Was Tired  
But, I had been up all night reading the Michum, er, Michener book and was tired.

Preface to remark:

I usually don't pay much attention to the name of any writer, unless the book is so well written that I stop at some point and give it a closer look; maybe even flip to the jacket to read more about the guy, once I have come to respect him.
Respectus: Latin. The act of looking back.
I hadn't quite done that, and when I Googled the name of the book, and saw the following page, well, must be the guy, I thought.





By the way, I have found three typos, five hundred pages into the Michener -or whomever, book; and he had a professional editorial staff behind him...

Easy to see where I guy might get confused...

Sometimes I am using Archie Bunker style humor, like when I wrote something like "Everyone will be watching that damned Merryweather and McClinsky fight tonight, nobody will be on the street."


This is intended to convey the apathy that I have concerning the thing -that I hadn't paid enough attention to get the names right.

Kind of like Alex in California mentioning my friends "The Chumsley's" in London.

This will no longer be the case when I refer to James A. Michener, whose writing I now hold in high enough esteem to have actually studied the front cover of his book, and memorized the name.
Just like Archie, I'm sure, wouldn't fumble over the syllables of "Donald John Trump." LOL!  

4 comments:

  1. OK I see the problem here. You apparently pronounce "conscious" and "conscience" the same. That's gonna lead to confusion, all right. You probably, when talking about going to a place or doing a thing, say you can't "feature" going there or doing the thing. You probably wash your clothes at a "laundry mat". You're probably happy the Uxi's closed for a bit, because you don't like to "be spending tree-fitty" on Kratom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that the Uxi may be shut down for a few days as they anticipate the holiday not being that busy (more a beer than a Kratom day) and its workers have family parties to attend, or it may be a sign of things to come. A local pot shop called "Palliative" shut down suddenly a year or two ago. I don't know why; it seemed ideally located, just a jump off of the freeway, no schools etc nearby, E-Z parking etc. But somehow it was not able to stay open and now it's a sign and banner shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, If one of the letters didn't peck out and the word "conscienc" was in my text, then when I saw the little squiggly line under it, I accepted the "corrected" word without having looked at the rest of the sentence, not having been alert to the fact that there is another very similar word in the language that I needed to be careful of...
    But, I HAVE noticed for the first time that conscience has the word science in it; and, being a huge fan of etymology, had to try to solve the riddle of whether or not it means "with science."
    Or, "to put together science," such as construction means to create a structure.
    Does your conscience create a science?
    I know I could Google it.
    The upshot is that I am realizing that I probably could have studied a lot harder back in college and not just assumed that you either have the ability to write or not, and that no piece of paper is going to change that...
    Same with music, I thougt.
    Are you going to hang your degree behind the drummer on the stage, the way doctors and other "learned" professionals do, with the same intention of assuring the audience that they are in good hands, you know what you are doing; like the bookshelf laden with thick cryptic tomes in a lawyer's office?
    But, alas, as far as English composition is concerned, I'm playing catch up.
    I've never heard anyone featuring going to some place...
    One thing I hate is when people use the word "promise" to deal with the past, as in: "I did all my chores, mom, I promise!"
    This sounds like they might not want to say: "I swear," this being the bible belt.
    Plus, using "anymore" in constructs like: "You need a drivers license just to get a job anymore." Both things that I had never heard north of the Mason-Dixon line.
    But, my biggest peeve is people who preface any response to just about any question with the word "so."
    "How did you pass the time?"
    "So, we used to walk around the park a lot..."
    "How will this effect the economy?"
    "So, one thing that bears mentioning is..."
    My caseworker, Tim, was calling someone on some business and, the person probably answered with "Hello," whereupon Tim, who is in his late twenties began his conversation: "Hi, so my name is Tim..." I hate that!
    I noticed it for the first time about a year ago when I started to listen to NPR radio.
    I would point out how stupid it sounds to people by asking them if they would preface the answers to yes or no questions that way.
    "Did you make it there on time?"
    "So, yeah."
    "Who was there when you got there?"
    "So, my friend Pete was there, and..."
    It burns me up just to think of that, and it is prevalent on NPR. I suspect that it is being spread through academia, as Tim is a college grad and that it is infecting those under the age of thirty.
    Lane, who used to work at the Uxi, answered almost every question posed to him that way.
    I call those people so-ers.
    As a kid I might have indeed thought that it was laundry mat before I saw it spelled.
    And, until about ten years ago, I thought that my dad had a wheel barrel that he used to lug loam and fertilizer in.
    I only found out it was a wheel barrow after I worked with a redneck in Florida who had pronounce it: wirl birl, which made me curious enough to consult Webster...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I used to get a shooting catalog, Brownell's I think, and Mr. Brownell's favorite expression was "So!". It'd be randomly sprinkled through the thing. He'd be talking about the virtues of his best bluing salts and then, So!

    You might buy a Brownell's sling or something at your local gun store, but if you got the Brownell's catalog you were probably a gunsmith or FFL (federal firearms license) holder, back in those days when FFL's were easy to get, so you were pretty serious. Also, as I recall, you had to send off $10 in 90's dollars for the thing, to be refunded the first $20 you spent or something.

    I believe the NPR "so" is a carry-over from Yiddish, NPR being heavily American-Jewish. Say what you will; it is so. And I can imagine easily any of a number of conversations with one's Jewish mother; "So... how are the nephews?" etc.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.