Thursday, September 6, 2018

HUH?!?

The genius book has these little self help "dialogues," which are intended to induce a hypnotic trance in the reader
and to give him the positive "suggestions" which are the bread and butter of hypnosis.

But, in an unusual twist, the guy suggests that the reader record his own voice reading the dialogues which he would then play back to himself, thereby taking the concept of self hypnosis to a more literal level.

So, there I was with the book and my recording gear already set up in front of me.

All I had to do was to record all the "take a deep breath...and, as you exhale, feel all the tension leaving your body..." type of stuff, and then put my headphones on, get into a comfortable position, and play it back.

The author has found that people respond to the sound of their own voice. I guess they trust it.

This makes sense because the last time I ever tried using a self help, hypnotizing recording, it was way back in the days of cassettes, and I remember that I was never able to go into a trance.

Part of that was because my mind was actively thinking about the voice on the tape, wondering what the guy looked like and about his choice of words, etc. And he emitted what sounded like a tiny suppressed burp at one point, and, instead of being in a trance, absorbing his every word but not consciously hearing them, I was fully conscious and thinking things like "Here comes the spot where the guy burps" and was never able to "go under."

The use of a person's own voice seems to be a stroke of, well, genius, and something that I had never thought of, myself.

I certainly felt kind of silly and self conscious, as I started to record.

I couldn't get through it without cracking up, laughing, unable to resist the temptation to ad lib stuff, like  yelling "Huh?!?" for example, after a question which went something like, "Wouldn't it be amazing if you could summon this resource at will in the future..(HUH?!?)"

I recorded the dialogue and then used Audacity's noise reduction effect to remove the sound of my air conditioner, which gave me a chance to experiment with that effect in a non musical context where I didn't have to worry about it making a guitar sound like it was under water, and I learned how to use it more effectively.

I then compressed the signal, finding the point just short of where it would make the "p's" pop, something that I can also apply to my musical recordings.
Right now, a couple blocks from the Lilly Pad

Then, I figured, why not add a heaping dose of "cathedral" reverberation to make it sound like I was trying to hypnotize myself in a huge cathedral, which I did find to be more trance inducing.

Still, I haven't been able to totally go under, and when my voice instructs me to slowly "return to the room," at the end of the dialogue, I have already been in the room each time. So far, anyways.

Maybe this is the missing piece of the puzzle for me, the ability to be able to use self hypnosis. In the past, I have never been able to go into a trance because, besides wondering what the guy on the tape is burping up, I have witnessed "professional" hypnotists who had groups of people, at the snap of his finger, walking around believing that they were chickens, flapping their arms and making clucking noises. Then, when the guy snaps his fingers again they returned to their normal selves and couldn't remember being chickens. This was way too freaky for me.

How do I know if I'm really a busker in New Orleans now, or if some guy just hasn't snapped his fingers to bring me out of it yet?

It is Thursday night, and the tropical storm has missed us.

I have a new set of strings to go on the Takamine, and a fresh set of batteries for my spotlight. My only reason for not feeling happy and confident as I ponder heading for the Lilly Pad for a night of busking would be that one or two of my harmonicas have developed a slightly flat note or two.

It won't hurt to go out and at least try. I wish I could summon those resources by imagining myself sitting in a circle of light, like I was talking about on the recording.

9 comments:

  1. Is that drawing of the girl in the baseball cap your latest? It's GOOD, dude!

    It just comes down to drawing, at least some every day ... "a lot of bad ones have to come out first" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busking power to you! Play, play, no working!

    It would probably save you good money in the long run if you could invest in a lee Oscar harp or two. They are impeccably tuned and regulated and can take really loud playing without wearing out so soon and you can buy replacement reed plates when they do. They are a pretty stiff blow and I found them challenging to bend notes playing cross-harp but you shouldn't have a problem seeing as you are wearing out harps so fast you already have a very strong blow ( and suck) ha ha.

    I confess when I was playing harmonica on the street I really developed an affinity for the 5 dollar Huangs. They weren't the most durable but they sounded good and did I mention 5 dollars? That was decades ago, I guess they are probably closer to 10 bucks now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing with "harps" is, I think it's inevitable that you'll blow them up if you're playing without a mic and amp, just like it's so easy to "blow out" your voice.

    The Lee Oskar harmonicas do have a reputation for lasting a long time. The Hohner Special-20s would be next, I guess, in terms of longevity.

    I think That Fat Guy Who Plays/Played For Blues Traveler used to just toss his "harps" into the audience at the end of shows, since chances were they were "used up" or almost so, by the end of a show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What if someone swabbed a Q-tip in one of those harps thrown off stage and sent it to one of those DNA testing places; they could find out if the fat guy is 4 percent Apache indian or whatever; for the type of fan that want's to know everything about their idol; very usefull
    If I could find a ten dollar harp that sounds OK but just wears out fast, I would be all over it; be able to try the key of Fsharp for grins and giggles type of thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The drawing is my latest, and came off a picture of the widest face I've ever seen; my drawing didn't do justice to it width...
    My latest technique is to black-face the face by smearing graphite all over it, then to use an eraser to bring out the highlights...I like to think I invented that; but maybe Da Vinci was doing it 2 centuries ago LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look up "huang harmonica" on Amazon. You can get them for $10 each if you get them in sets, $12 each singly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people just have these really wide faces. In fact it's amazing how much people's faces can vary from the "standard" proportions you learn from an art book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure it was the Huang Silvertone deluxe #103 I used to get.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.