Wednesday, January 2, 2019

58 Dollar New Year's Eve

I didn't get to the Lilly Pad until after 1 AM; after the ball had fallen in Times Square, and after I had sat in my apartment for almost an hour, feeling as reluctant to go out and busk as I have perhaps in my life.
I'm not sure what the issue was, but it most certainly was enveloped by the paranoia that I had gotten from smoking some of Bobby's weed in his apartment.
He was "totally out" of it, but was able to pass me a joint for a couple hits of what I knew was ill advised smoke.
I was worried that the timer would begin ticking on the 80 minute window of opportunity to play buzzed that seems to open after I smoke while tuning at the Lilly Pad.
Bobby had remarked: "It's almost 11, you'd better get going."
The flat tire on the bike meant that I had to wait for a trolley and then would have to walk the nine blocks to the Lilly Pad after getting off.
This shouldn't have been a big deal but was magnified by the the heightened sense of paranoia, as I sat on my couch thinking of excuses not to go out.
But, after about 80 minutes, go figure, I kind of snapped out of a daze and, with determination, thought: It's New Year's Eve and the Quarter will be packed with people; I need to go play.
Which I did, and made 58 bucks by the time 4 AM rolled around. $21.70/hr. on a night when I had frittered away an hour trying to overcome a paranoia about going out at midnight in New Orleans, when I had a perfectly safe apartment with plenty of kratom and cigarettes there.
But, I was able to bring Harold the cat home 2 cans of cat food, so it ended well.

1 comment:

  1. $58 a day's better than most people in the US do.

    It's more than I make, for instance.

    I know you're not averaging this a day, but you can see how Tanya might be supporting a bunch of people and sending a couple of kids (not hers, family's, Chinese people work that way) on what she makes, and apparently Dorise has bought a bunch of houses and rents them out?

    I myself am planning to ramp up busking, or hustling handicrafts, or something, so I can save the money I make at my main job, in preparation for moving back where I grew up. It's expensive, but no more than New Orleans is.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.