Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Tuesday The Twelfth

I was up at the somewhat depressing hour of about five-thirty in late afternoon as the sun was about to set.
I decided to hop on the bike which Jacob had given me the day before.
It has those high pressure tires which are very small in diameter and which take a high amount of pressure.
The bike rode very well for one which had been sitting in a back yard, with the tire pressure being my chief concern. I didn't want to bend a rim by hitting a bump which might cause it to bottom out.
As I was leaving to test ride the bike, I threw the key to the lock that Bobby was letting me borrow out with my trash.
I had locked the bike and then grabbed the trash bags, I guess before pocketing the key, and so, after returning from Rouses Market where the security guard was cool enough to watch the bike for me while I ran in for cat food, energy drink, gallon of water and can of coconut milk, I searched frantically for the key.
I had just gone to the dumpster, where I had thrown my trash and was using the phone as a flashlight when it rang with Bobby on the other end.
How could I tell him that I lost the key to the lock that he let me borrow?
How would I be able to go out and busk without being able to lock the bike?
How am I going to cut Bobby's lock off of the bike if I don't find the key?
I told Bobby that I was using the phone as a flashlight and would have to call him back.
Jacob and I didn't find it in our search, but, a second search of the dumpster, this time wearing latex gloves lead to the key's discovery in one of the bags that I had thrown out, which we had already searched. It had been hidden pretty well behind an empty vinegar bottle the first time.
That really would have sucked had I had to come up with a lock so I could use the bike to busk, and then had to buy Bobby a new one to replace the one that was locked to the bike, and then eventually had to have that one cut off.
It was pretty cold and windy by the time I found the key, and so I stayed in and produced the video above, which came from one that Jacob and I shot Monday night at my place, during a quick stop there to grab my jacket on our way out to get a bottle of melatonin for Bobby.

1 comment:

  1. You need to keep your bike lock key on the same ring with your house keys, and ideally you need a bike that can take a fair amount of a abuse, with fat tires. I got away from skinny tires years ago; they're just not durable enough to handle the crappy streets of San Jose - or, I'm guessing, New Orleans. But for a temporary bike, skinny tires are fine, just be prepared to fix a lot of flats and watch that pressure or you'll get pinch flats all the time and maybe a bent rim.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.