Tuesday, April 2, 2019

"It's Far"

Monday, the first of April was a
I'm sure it still gives him nightmares.
sunny and cool day, cool enough to offset the heat worked up through pedaling a bike, and so, at just a bit after noon, after weighing all my options for enjoying the sunlight, I set off on my bike in order to see just how long a ride it would be to Jacob's house in Kenner.

The first person who seemed likely to know where Kenner was, told me that it was "far" from where I asked him, a few blocks from the apartment, how I could get there on my bike.
I figured that there had to be basically just one road that would take me all the way there, and there basically was.
There was Metarie Road, which took me through the city that Kenner is on the other side of, and then there was Airline Road, which took me to the vicinity of the airport which unleashed the planes that fly about 500 feet over Jacob's back yard.
I had discounted the information that Kenner was far away as coming from a typically wussy millenial. I figured that his screen staring self probably thought anything that took more than five minutes to get to in a car would be far.

But, it turned out to be an hour and fifteen minutes of averaging only about 12 miles per hour because of bumpy sidewalks and the like.

Then, the question of whether I was going to reverse the process to get home became mute after Bob offered me a TV which he had acquired and was getting rid of, along with taking Jacob and I to the Salvage Store, where I just about tapped out my food card with the purchase of about 40 bucks worth of food, all at unheard of discounted prices, and then we went to pick up a computer which someone was giving to Bob, I guess to give to someone like me, or maybe me specifically.
So, I returned with Jacob to the apartment where we unloaded from Bob's SUV, all of the groceries, the computer, the TV, and my bike.
Forgetting only the antenna that went with the TV, and a piece of paper upon which was written the password to get into the computer.

I was so tired that I didn't go out to busk.

The computer is going to be dedicated to perhaps music alone, where I could conceivably fill it with about a month's worth of music before a song repeats.

Or I could put a version of Audacity on it and use it for the dedicated recording studio.
For being one of the least materialistic people I know, I sure seem to be acquiring a lot of stuff, lately. It's that zen kind of thing: As soon as I have learned to be content in a room with just four walls and a ceiling, it becomes full of cool stuff.
This afternoon, Bobby (who fell off his bike and broke his collarbone and can't play it right now) let me use his electric guitar, which I plugged into Jacob's amplifier that he left at my place after that last time we jammed, and I wish I could have seen myself from the perspective of a year ago, when I would be sitting in an empty place with a laptop and a guitar and not much else.
"Where did all that stuff come from?" I would wonder.

1 comment:

  1. It's the same here. I find file cabinets, book cases, just got an overhead projector last night, I just find all kinds of things now that I have a place to put them in.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.