Tuesday, May 7, 2019

J.S. Back?

Ok, folks. What I've done is to "share" what is, I guess, a podcast.
Does this mean that the link does nothing unless the podcast is live?
Should I check these things out before sharing them on my own blog, in case they are mis-labeled and are actually malicious trojan horses?
Well, I have stumbled, yet again, on something Elvis Costello while looking for something else.
Now, I was about to share the above through facebook, and only to Jacob Scardino.
Will Jacob Scardino Ever Come Back?
Speaking of Jacob Scardino, I have a theory about why he never comes around.

It has to do with something that happened to him a couple weeks ago, now.

He stumbled upon the facebook page of a young lady in Tennessee, who had gotten the same Frank Zappa release that Jacob had gotten upon what is known far and wide as "record store day," or national record store day, whatever.

Just by flipping through tweets or instagrams or somehow going online to gauge reactions to, and get some feedback upon, the Zappa release (which is little Dweezil, and perhaps Moon Unit, and the surviving clan recovering music from the extensive vault which Frank left behind before he went to hell, if you take the word of certain fundamentalist Christians whom I have spoken with) he found her.

My favorite quote by Frank Zappa is: "There is something blasphemous about a properly played electric guitar."

So, after learning that this young lady named Liz was an artist, and seeing one of her works on facebook which he instantly recognized as depicting a scene described in detail in one of Zappa's songs, and finding that she was an attractive girl, Jacob became infatuated immediately.

I perhaps know how he feels.

When I first discovered this girl named Angela, who was a medical student at Michigan State University, it was by doing a search on Elvis Costello, which she had not only listed as one of her favorites or something, but she had quoted one of his lyrics: "Love is always capering or cowering or fawning; you drink yourself insensitive then hate yourself in the morning" in the area of her page which was the equivalent of the "profile" on facebook.

I felt like I was a type AB negative blood carrier, who had found another one; and we should mate. I couldn't resist writing her a message.

There is just a connection that rare music binds people together with. This is why playing "b" sides can pay off for a busker. First of all, if you do the song well and a person doesn't recognize it, he might think you have written yourself a pretty cool little song. But, if you can get someone who wound up liking the song as a youth but only after he went and dug up the guy's first couple "obscure" albums because he liked the one that became a hit and put the guy on the map, enough; well, that guy might throw a large tip, feeling like he has found someone else with the same rare blood type.

So, I can understand that Jacob wanted to "reach out" (one of my least favorite millenial's terms) to the pretty young lady 500 miles away and say, "You like obscure Frank Zappa music?!? So do I!!"

That is a connection that isn't entirely sexual. It would be cool to chance upon an elderly man who was sitting and cranking up "Blood and Chocolate," by Elvis Costello. It would be an instant conversation starter to say the least.

But, Jacob sent me a message asking me to remove his name from one of the videos that we shot -the one of us singing about being ready to run to the store to buy Bobby in building C some melatonin.

It was a raggedy and improvised and kind of Cheech and Chong influenced (know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge?) type of thing, and Jake didn't want this girl, whom he knew nothing about except that she once drew a picture of a room from a Frank Zappa song, to see it.

He said that it was because of the drug references in the song. Frank Zappa was pretty vocally drug free, I believe (maybe not as vocal as Ted Nugent, who said we humans had no right to put drugs into the beautiful and amazing bodies that God gave us) and I guess one could play it safe with a Zappa fan and try to hide that facet of himself from any prospective bride 500 miles away.

But, that seemed to be a turning point in Jacob and I's relationship. Not that he was ashamed of ol' Daniel and didn't want the girl to see me, but that he saw his hanging out with me and our musical projects as not being his true self. He didn't want the girl to Google his name and see him acting like a nut and singing about melotonin.
But, there is an irony in the fact that you would try to keep a fan of Zappa (who sang "Jazz Discharge Party Hat," about running around using a girl's panties as a hat unbeknownst to her) from hearing your song about running to the store for melotonin.

Prozac

Plus, Jacob has recently been prescribed Prozac and it is supposedly balancing his brain and people with balanced brains are less likely to hang out with me, too.

Yesterday I had 50 bucks and nothing but blue skies ahead, and, in the course of 24 hours, everything has been set on its head.

I am going to have to try to play at the Lilly Pad again soon; I was kind of getting used to the money that comes from just getting out there at least every night...   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.