Thursday, January 2, 2020

Stirrings, Musings And The Quest For The Cure For Restless Seeking

I sit here and I type.
I have the soundtrack for the movie "Grease," on my CD player, as I do so.
This brings back memories of my 15th year, a year during which almost every other kid in my high school went and saw the movie "Grease."

I guess I already wasn't into movies at that stage of my life. I always felt that I would rather go out and try to live out my own 2 hour adventure instead of sitting in a theater and being "transported" into some other person's fantasy.

But, the music, although done by the "top" professionals of the day, falls well short of replicating the 1950's type stuff that it seeks to imitate, at least compared to such gems as Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell" album that turns rock and roll into an art form, with textbook rock piano, guitar, drums, vocals, and especially lyrics.

The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is even a better listen than the Grease soundtrack. The theme song to the "Happy Days" TV show is better than almost everything on the Grease soundtrack, with the possible exception of "Hopelessly Devoted To You," sung by Olivia Newton John, and only added to the movie at the last minute, it won the only Oscar for the film....

But, a 28 year old Olivia cast as a high school girl!?


But, I snapped up the CD for one dollar at the Goodwill, while grabbing Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition" for another buck. I wonder which disc I will still want to listen to a year from now.

It is Thursday, the 2nd day of 2020.

My drinking, which resumed with the ill-fated decision to drink beer on Halloween night (thinking that it would warm me up on that cold night, and that, perhaps absolute abstinence from alcohol might not be the penultimate diet for health) and which, 2 weeks later led to bottles of red wine being consumed with evening meals, such as I had done all through the 1990's -a time when I enjoyed vibrant health, finally reached a critical point last night.

I was coming back from the store and wound up getting to the building just as Jacob was arriving for what was planned to be a day of recording music at his house (because his guardian, Bob, was away for the holiday) and then going out to busk, on New Year's Eve.

There was a skeezer of some sort, who had a backpack containing bottles of Jim Beam bourbon, which he was selling for 10 bucks each; less than half the price charged by whatever store he most likely shoplifted them from.

Not one to be able to resist a great deal, I bought a bottle off him.

This led to Jacob and I going over to his house and recording one of our best sessions ever, but then returning to my place where, only the next day did I learn that I had annoyed him by putting on a Grateful Dead recording and "noodling" along to it, when he was chomping at the bit to go out and busk.

By the time we got out there, I was almost half way into the bottle and some comment he made made me basically kick him off the spot "I've been playing here for 8 years by myself, and I wouldn't mind going back to that arrangement now," or some other Jim Beam inspired words, I said.

Jake was mad because I sold the rest of our weed for 10 bucks to a couple of tourists who happened along and happened to mention that they were looking for some.

I knew that I could run to Canal Street and replace it using only 5 of the 10 bucks that they gave me (us) but Jacob became so upset about the prospect of playing without being high, that it made me feel like he was going to mope and drag the energy level down, and it also made me come face to face with my failure to have gotten to a point where I could go out and play using only a jug of spring water to keep me hydrated and going.

Jacob has always been a "drugs first" type of person.

I met him at a kratom bar, for starters.

The first time we ever scheduled a jam at his house (when his guardian was away another time) we wound up driving around with he and his friends while they frantically texted and skyped away on their phones, trying to find acid.
Once the acid was procured, then, it was on to the jam.

This made for some discomfort for me, as I was being introduced to new people and situations, while tripping on LSD. This is a double edged sword, as it can make great interactions greater, but it can also amplify awkwardness.

And so it came to pass that, even though I spoke with Jacob about my goal of being able to go out and busk without the crutch of a tune up joint or other drug, it seemed like the very next day, he was texting me with things like "Trying to get some weed for busking tonight..."

And, then to be sitting there with him shaking his head and basically saying that he didn't really feel like playing, since there was nothing to get high on, I guess that triggered the reaction in me to kick him off the Lilly Pad.

I knew that I could go and replace the weed, and turn a profit in the bargain, if he were to just hold down the spot for 15 minutes while I went and did so, but I guess I was offended by his anger at me, as if I had done something against him by selling the weed. So, I never proposed that, but just told him that I wanted my spot back, see you later, type of thing.

But, not a half hour after he left, and with the street still packed with tourists, the brunt of the bottle hit me and I was too drunk to play, after having made just 6 more dollars.

But, after getting a text from him the next morning that detailed the extent to which I had inconvenienced him, who had to ride through the packed Quarter, alone, on his bike, which he then was not allowed to leave in the Sacred Heart lobby, due to one particular guard who was working, I fired off an apology, being sober, and realizing that I could have defused the situation in a much better way than telling him to leave.

In a way, I thought I was practicing "tough love" by making him have to ride home by himself, unchaperoned, and hoped that it might help him over his phobia of doing so.

He is very afraid of death and had heard that a lot of people are shot in the Quarter during the New Year's Eve fireworks, because they mask the sounds of the gunfire.

I was hoping that he might run into someone who would notice the bass guitar on his back and invite him to party and play the bass (and that they might even have an awesome layout of recreational drugs to make it a truly memorable night) and that it might help him with his "social anxiety," or whatever it is...

But, not being a hypocrite and, having had a bowl of weed to tune up with, ritualistically, for probably the past 3 years at the Lilly Pad, I was in no position to throw stones.

Some people seem to hold alcohol in special contempt, probably based upon childhood experiences with alcoholic parents and such. There aren't a lot of stories bandied about about how dad would smoke a fat joint and then start beating on the wife, or wind up waking up in a gutter because of it.

So, the "Grease" soundtrack kind of sucks. Maybe it's just that grease is not the way that I'm feeling right now.

They used to put grease in their hair and then grease up their cars, and I guess that was the most grand metaphor of that movie. All I envision is my fellow high school freshmen who actually went and saw the movie at least once and who, would hit that dance floor with relish and mimic whatever dances they learned from watching the flick, and I remember my disgust over how they were like sheep in that sense, with Hollywood as the shepherd. So ephemeral; they were living in their time, doing the dance of the day; like sheep.


I'm not sure I agree that "grease" is the word. I still think "the bird" is the word, in my opinion...

Earlier this evening, I put more data on my phone so I can use the hot spot to post this.

I know I have cried wolf one too many times already, but I will once again say that, soon I will post some music here that will be better than any posted before...

6 comments:

  1. I would like to dispel the notion that I am a "drugs first" type of person. In fact for the majority of my life I have been, rather ignorantly, an "anti drugs" type of person. When I was 17 and everyone around me spontaneously started smoking weed, I decided to smoke weed on 10 occasions as a sociological experiment, so that when I led the 'crusade against marijuana' I could say in response to "your opinion is invalid man cos you've never tried it" that "I've tried it on 10 different occasions and it did nothing for me". Unfortunately, around the 5th occasion or so it did do something for me. It helped me with my crippling insomnia that I was dealing with at the time, along with numbing developing severe depression and anxiety temporarily. Being that my parents were addicted to drugs, I suppose I have that trait as well, and before long I did develop an addiction to marijuana. Along the way I tried acid a handful of times, along with shrooms once.

    Why I was in an ornery mood about the weed being sold that night was because since being 17, my depression and social anxiety has gotten severely worse, making me hate the experience of busking sober. Some weed helps me to not focus on all of the people walking by (droves upon droves of them on New Years night, including females which are a significant trigger for my depression) and helps me to get into the music better. I was willing to rough it out, albeit not having the ability to really connect to what Daniel or I were playing. Which I will admit is my problem that I need to work on and should have tried my best despite not being able to get high.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few factual errors I would also like to clear up: The first time me and Daniel scheduled to jam at my place was indeed NOT the time that we were on a quest for l.s.d. According to this very blog, the first time me and Daniel jammed at my place was on Monday June 18th. 2018, Daniel blogged about it the next day saying quote "Jacob declined to smoke a bit of weed, because of an undefined fear of Bob, also." It was also funny to read about me being "the anti-Travis Blaine", especially after being compared to him on a few occasions not too long ago, mainly being that we share sociopath tendencies. So the first time we jammed at my place I was completely sober. The acid jam (Noodleland) occurred October 27th, 2018, 4 months later. It is around the time that I sparked a friendship with Dan that my depression started to become unbearable, causing me to resort to drugs more and more, giving him the impression that I've always been a "drugs first" person, when I had never been one prior to sometime in 2018.

    Also, about Daniel expressing to me his goal of being able to busk without a tune up joint, and me responding the next day with "Trying to get some weed for busking tonight...", I don't know where this is coming from. In fact I agreed with him about trying to kick weed for the sake of music (I have text messages to prove this) and had even decided to quit weed, and was able to busk with Daniel on at least two, possibly three occasions having only had a shot of kratom (which for all intents and purposes I don't consider a drug as much as it is a supplement, because it doesn't deliver the same severely altering states of mind and behaviors as marijuana or other drugs. to me kratom is like marijuana but without the exaggerated goofiness and stereotypical baked behavior, you are still in complete control of your faculties, but anxiety and depression have been replaced with a mindset of freedom and unbound creativity akin to that of being 12 years of age or younger). It wasn't until one busking occasion on Christmas Eve when a guy threw us down some weed from his window that I smoked again at the busking spot, and "fell in love with weed all over again", subsequently trying to recreate that same high musical energy thus forth, leading to the events of the other night. Weed is a problem for me and I should leave it alone, and will continue to try my best to, but I would not say that I am a "drugs first" person. That image of me as a human being/person is not accurate.

    By the way, no hard feelings Daniel, just wanted to clear my reputation and public image where it seems it needs to be corrected. There's enough people I know who think I'm scum of one sort or another, the last people I need thinking that also are Alex in California or Craig Nelson. Keep on playing the use, picking seashells, and doing whatever the hell you wanna do Alex. One of these days me and Daniel are gonna come up with something that will impress you, I'm just sure of it! Craig, if you're still reading the blog, I believe it was you that once mentioned Zappa and Uncle Meat in a comment. If so, super cool that you know that album exists. Great album. Would love to get your thoughts on Burnt Weeny Sandwich, my favorite Zappa album and album in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uke*, not use. I was alluding to a song Daniel made about you Alex, which I found very amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacob "Drugs First" Scardino - I'd not worry about it. First, no one reads these blogs. Secondly, Daniel's hardly The Voice Of New Orleans. Nobody cares what he thinks or writes about etc.

    Once I got over pneumonia, it was bye-bye uke; I hate the things, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm gonna write more here. The uke is a fine instrument, and essentially if you put a capo on the 5th fret of a guitar, and play the highest 4 strings, that's a uke with drop-G tuning. Tell a skilled guitarist that after handing them a uke and they're immediately at home. I wanted to use a uke to give my hands something to do, and to help establish key and tempo, to accompany singing.

    Growing up in Hawaii, it seems every kid had a uke and was expected to play the uke. You know how kids in some places are all expected to play the recorder, or the "Tonette"? In Hawaii it was that way about the uke...

    Uke + singing still might be a better choice than trumpet, but trumpet is what I've centered in on. People seem to center in on "their" instrument and that's it. I know of two street performers who'd be better off playing trumpet (You can buy a new Jean-Paul horn online for not much over $100 and they're not bad) but nope they just have to play flute, which is a much more delicate instrument with all those springs and pads and things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacob "Uke Hater" ScardinoJanuary 5, 2020 at 1:12 PM

      Yeah I feel you about the ukulele. The use of the uke in todays music world (basically a lot of covers on youtube) doesn't really jive with my musical taste. But to each their own. I do like extensions and variations of the ukulele, like the baritone ukulele. I guess the reason I don't care for the ukulele is the reason I would rather the trumpet, the two are on opposite ends of the spectrum in a way. Trumpet being a lot more harsh and in your face versus the ukulele being something like 'the quintessential mellow out hippie kind of' sound. It's difficult to get a really intense sound out of the ukulele, although I have seen it done before. Can't remember the girls name but she plays a (baritone) ukulele real fiercely, like a classical guitarist.

      I could take this in a direction of "beauty" vs "ugliness" in music, a Miles Davis recording or "The Rite Of Spring" per se I can find incredibly beautiful in its harshness of tone, maybe because of the idea of having "ugliness" juxtaposed to magnify the beauty of it, whereas the ukulele can't really sound ugly, so its just like a 'stereotypical' beauty at all times, you always know what you're going to get. Maybe like an incredibly attractive model that asks "whats a right of spring?" and "like, is a Berry tone like a type of like berry? Like a strawberry?" Yeah I don't know where this is going, but anyways I choose Brass of Ukulele too. No offense uke lovers all over the world.

      Delete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.