Saturday, February 29, 2020

Friday A Day Of Observance

  • The Dilapidation Of The Busking Enterprise

I was at the Lilly Pad busking earlier.

One of the draw holes on my Marine Band harmonica doesn't sound, and so I was doing my best to play around that note (as well as the other neighboring tones that that reed can be bent to) all night, but knowing that it was hindering me and denigrating the quality of the music.

I had been looking at the damage on my guitar, also.

A damaged spot that had been there since I got the thing had started to spread, as more of the hardtop has started to separate from the body, so that I had to use some Gorilla Tape to keep it from getting worse.

Then, as I was getting ready to leave, I took note of the condition of my gig bag, which has to be zipped closed in only one direction because the zipper is starting to mess up.

Neglect, is the word.

It carries over into the dereliction of having added a couple hundred songs to my repertoire, and so I had just finished playing the same 12 that I seem to do every night.

And, into the dereliction in acquiring a little battery powered amplifier, a little trailer to pull the stuff behind me on the bike, etc.
And irresponsibility when it comes to setting aside money for contingencies like, the battery in the guitar tuner dying -oh, did I mention that?

At least I am aware of the problem, that's the first step.

With Lilly's recent absence, and the chance that it means that she moved (and would have told me of her plans, had I not been almost as absent from her stoop in the recent past) and that I no longer have a patron in the neighborhood.

I have mixed feeling about that.

It might just be time for me to become amplified, and maybe that is the lesson to be learned from everything that has been happening at the Lilly Pad.
And, then there is the idea of quitting busking; maybe trying to get a time slot in some pub where, on one Friday night, I can make a weeks worth of Lilly Pad money...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.