Thursday, January 21, 2021

Waiting For The Sun

I might as well wait until the sun comes up before going to get cat food and litter.


I can do some kind of blog post; or maybe mess with a music file; or fritter away 3 hours on Youtube, being led by click bait down a cyber rabbit hole.

Disclaimer for left photo: I AM NOT A FAN OR SUPPORTER!
I think it's cool that they recently brought a 109 year World Series drought to an end, but I found the hat in brand new condition, and it fit me; and so, there you go...

Don't assume that I am a Cubs fan from looking at this picture, is all I'm saying.

I am NO ADMIRER AT ALL of that particular baseball organization.


Now that I am trying to produce another music video. 

As it stands, it might only have still shot photos in it. 

I have to just make a short duration piece, maybe 3:05, out of a bunch of hour-plus jams that I have laying around my hard drive.

I'm trying to make music the way it used to be done.

This was basically where a human being had to play an instrument on the recording. 

They had the advantage of being able to roll the tape repeatedly and repeat their parts, and then had the powerful tool of being able to use track "a" until such a point that the guy makes some blatant mistake, then to switch to track "b" for just that one part where the mistake was, and make a mistake free rendition out of several dozen passes through the song. 

And so, you could wind up with a guitar solo where some notes were played on a particular Tuesday night, but the second part of the musical phrase might have come from a session a month later and a thousand miles from the first studio.

But, the listener pictures a guy standing there, cranking out one contiguous solo.


Now, it is even more ridiculous.

I could play the hell out of the guitar for a couple minutes, doing random stuff; and then cut and paste and warp it into a song.

There is a happy medium somewhere in between the extremes. 

I have always been a believer in letting the computer repeat stuff that is more or less background, while the solo voices are kept live and spontaneous and certainly "in the moment."

If I were to lose my arms in a horrible accident, I would have enough material on my hard drive to continue releasing albums for years. I could slow stuff down, speed it up, change the pitch and put a variety of effects on stuff...

In theory, I could just record me playing a scale on a guitar, and digitally make a whole piece of music out of it, by manipulating pitch and duration.

Above: The surrounding universe is starting to materialize. It has taken a lot longer than 7 days to create.

This puzzle is challenging because there is a lot of writing that isn't vertical, there are circles that are inscribed all the way around, so that writing is at all angles. The pieces are all on an X/Y axes, though, and this is turning into a pretty fun puzzle, albeit one that competes with about a dozen other projects at any given time.


But, the sun is set to rise in about 40 minutes. I might start on foot for the Shell Station.

I have been on foot for a couple weeks now. I really need to spend about a half hour putting another tube in the bike tire. It's just discouraging; having had 3 tubes in a row develop slow leaks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.