Tuesday, November 23, 2021

If I Don't Stay On The Charts

"Damn, it's slow out here. I don't even see no money baskets to grab!"

 

There are times when I feel weak and insecure and wish I had a Significant Other to give me pep talks and send me out there with a kiss...

These times often fall on Tuesday evenings...

"Honey, I leaned your guitar against the wall by your bike...and, could you toss those empty Häagen-Dazs containers in the dumpster on your way out, er, or bring one with you so you remember to get the right flavor; so I won't have to send you back out at 3 in the morning again..?

Have fun...remember, more Beatles songs, dear! I'll be waiting up!"

Yup, a Significant Other...

I did run through "The Entertainer," by Billy Joel, from his first album...years before Christie Brinkley came along and p***y whipped him, to the tune that he wrote songs like "Tell Her About It," and "Leave A Tender Moment Alone," the first of which gives the relationship advice to "tell her all your crazy dreams," or alternately, you need to know when "the moment isn't right to tell her a comical line" and so, just "Leave a tender moment alone."


Talk about conflicting  messages; from a guy that a whole generation of young men had put on a pedestal, and then looked up to, for wisdom, and guidance in how to land a supermodel as a wife.

By the time Billy's breakup with Christie became public knowledge everyone was just as baffled as him over why any man would ever "go to extremes" over a woman like that...

The first time I ever played "The Entertainer" at the Lilly Pad, it was about 3:45 in the afternoon, and during the last verse, a woman came running over from the direction of the bar and dropped 43 dollars in my basket, and then hurried off. I still remember that it was a 20, a 10, a 5 and 8 singles.

Left: I just need to polish up the verses a bit, and see if I can double the little synthesizer line at the end of every verse on the harmonica and guitar. That would be a real show stopper... 

        "I am the entertainer; I know just where I stand.

Another serenader, another long-haired band.

Today I am your champion; I may have won your hearts.

But I know the game, you'll forget my name

I won't be here in another year; if I don't stay on the charts..."


I figured that she had probably just broken a 50 dollar bill to buy a 5 dollar bottle of beer at Lafitt's Blacksmith Shop Tavern, and had probably tipped the bartender a couple bucks, tipper that she seemed to be...
And now is a good time to pass along this tidbit of busking wisdom, gained through a 15 year practice:

It is good to do obscure songs by artists who also have big hit songs that everyone knows. People who are huge fans of these artists like to have a chance to demonstrate their loyalty by the fact that they have every one of his/her albums and know every song he/she ever did. And that is where "B sides" and "deep cuts" from lesser known albums come in.

I got a similar response once, when playing "Harmony," by Elton John, which is the B side to a very famous 45 rpm single.


"That brings back memories," the 50 something, well dressed man had said while dropping a 20, and a few singles, in my basket.

"I guess I wasn't the only kid who flipped "Bennie and the Jets" over, out of curiosity..." I said, which got a smile.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.