Friday, September 17, 2010

13 Cents And No Sense

Yesterday, I was walking down Dauphin Street, after having eaten at The Salvation Army or, "The Sally," as it is called by some, who like brevity.
There are those who refer to it in public as merely "up Dauphin Street," as in: "Are you going to get lunch up Dauphin Street today?" This is done so that people within earshot will not know that they are talking about The Salvation Army.
People such as Rush Limbaugh call individuals who do so: "freegans," which is a play on the word "vegan," and is a label put upon anyone who eats a meal which is provided to them for "free."
He (Rush) paints with a broad brush, and, I think, hates them/us all.
But I digress.
I Run Into The Devil
Yesterday, after leaving "The Sally," freegan that I am, I ran into none other than Marshall, the guy from Pritchard. I had 13 cents on me, having been wiped out by a day at the hospital, and a second day, which found me playing for free at the Serda's Songwriter's Open Mic event.
The last time I ran into Marshall, (July 25th?) I was totally broke. I joked that he was the Devil, or rather, implied it.
Once again, he invited me, who had prpared myself for a rough night without beer or cigarettes, to go with him to drink beer. I did. He offered me cigarettes, just like the first time that I ran into him.
I think that he frequents the Sally, and bestows generosity upon certain individuals, who he sees as being indigent. Either that or he really is The Devil.
He dropped me off in town, on his way to work; giving me 15 bucks in the process.
I sat and tinkered with some music, but decided against playing, because the crowd was only trickling into town. People in Mobile are in the habit of waiting for the temperatures to drop to comfortable levels, before coming out. It is a summer thing.
I chose rest over trying to augment my 15 dollars (and 13 cents.)
Now, here it is Friday, the day that I can potentially make the most money, and here I am pecking away at my blog....
Off I go. I am going to try to play more like Dave Matthews tonight. I have listened to one of his discs a couple of times (this morning.)
I Am Dave Matthews!!
A girl asked (begged) me to play some Dave Matthews one night last weekend. I didn't know any at all, and I was remiss.
Dave lived in Charlottesville, Virginia, and even came into the gas station where I worked, late one night, and talked to me about Charlottesville. I didn't know it was him, untill after he had left and someone pointed out that they had seen his truck, and seen him talking to me, but couldn't do a U-turn fast enough to come back and hound him for an autograph or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.