Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Prepare For Nothing

A Less Than Stellar Night
I washed my hair in Cooper's Park, and then put a massive amount of conditioner in it and brushed it through. It took about 20 minutes to remove all of the "snarls." When I was done, it was 6:30pm., and I called Jeff about going to his church's Wednesday night service. I was about an hour and a half too late in calling, I learned. The service apparently starts at 5 pm., when a meal is served; something to remember, if you are ever in Mobile.
I went off aimlessly, and eventually sat at the acoustically sound spot to sip beer and work on music which I was considering playing at Serda's Songwriter's Open Mic Night. I was happy to make 6 bucks, as, the street was pretty deserted. One guy threw me 5 bucks, as I was playing "You Must Be Getting What You Want," which was written about Karrie, and basically contends that she must have found another way to stay drunk all of the time, and have someone to cling to, since she has made no effort to contact me the past 145 days.
I miss Karrie sometimes when I am drinking. It belies my original objective in coming to Mobile to get away from her influence, and to drink a lot less as a result, when I wind up drinking just as much. I might as well have her here with me, sharing the love, at those times.
Serda's Un-Friends Me
Having missed the chance to go to Jeff's church, there was some consolation in the fact that I was able to arrive relatively early at Serda's. In fact, there was enough time remaining before the start of the event to have more beer. I was thinking about doing my newest song, "Computer Geek Blues," but not ruling out a couple others.
Who am I that Serda's is not mindful of me?
This became a mute point, because Jimmy Lee, (the MC guy) never asked me if I wanted to play, or if I was ready to play, or at what place in the lineup he was thinking of putting me.

I hung around and listened to the other performers, and drank more beer and saw Jimmy Lee walk past me more than once and divert his eyes from me and never speak to me.
This was the first time that I had ever gone there without being asked to play something. There were quite a few performers there, and maybe some of them were first-timers and had preference over others, or maybe Jimmy Lee saw how drunk I was getting and remembered a less than stellar performance I gave about three weeks ago, when in that same state. I don't know, because he never said anything to me. I felt unwelcome.
I left there and went off and sat and stared up at the stars and searched my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.