Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fiona In The Sky With Diamonds
...Suddenly someone is there at the turnstile. A girl with kaliedoscope eyes....
Organization Of Blog
I am trying to come up with a system that I can use on a consistent basis to organise this blog.
I was thinking of modeling it upon a typical newspaper, using headings such as "world," "national," etc. This implies, though, that I am compelled to comment daily about sports and the weather.
Blogging about the most pressing issue is important, unless a more entertaining episode has taken place.
Laptop, Dog?
Hummer With Bald Tires Dilemna
I am currently swirling in a vortex of indecision over what to do.
My choice is between spending all my money on a laptop computer, or buying a whole bunch of -for lack of a better term- "more practical" things.
If I were to buy the laptop, I would be leaving myself with very little to go with it, as far as accessories. I might be like the guy driving a Hummer with bald tires. I would have, at my disposal, the ability to record music to the same "technical" standards achieved by everybody else who records their stuff on a laptop and then uploads it, limited only by my lack of bells and whistles. I could publish worldwide my songs, featuring the sound of my cheap guitar and a cheap harmonica. If my songs were good or, novel, enough, I think some of the sound quality could be overlooked, plus, there is audio software out there that it wouldn't surprise me if it could fix the sound of a $100 guitar, so that one would be unable to distinguish it from a symphony orchestra.
This blog would surely benefit from my having the freedom to work whenever inpiration strikes, as long as it strikes when I am nearby an electrical outlet, or my battery is charges.
Downside Of Getting Laptop
Well, the downside begins with added onus of keeping the laptop from becoming wet, dropped onto the concrete from a great height, or stolen.
It doesn't come with a case, though the cases that I have seen don't look like much of a deterent to water seeping into the laptop. I would need to improvise some kind of thing using bubble wrap and other hardware. It is not a good idea, anyways to have a case which is specifically designed to carry something which can be exchanged for a lot of crack. Word will soon enough get around that Guitar Man has one of of those computer things what cost thousands of dollars, and I will be shouldering the extra burden of looking over one shoulder to safeguard the guitar, and the other for the laptop.
I would have to make sure the thing could be waterproofed and concealed in my bag, so they might think that I don't have it with me. (some of them will be obtuse enough to ask "Where your computer?" This gives me the chance to perpetuate the lie that "I keep it at a friend's apartment most of the time.")
I know that laptops break. From a key that suddenly gives you two letter "e"s when you press it, to the whole motherboard frying, they won't run forever. I might have to protect it from extremes of temperature and humidity to the point of sleeping with it on cold winter nights.
Conclusion
All in all, the inconvenience inherent with laptop ownership is offset by its potential as a useful tool, for the average person, who has the means to keep it secure. Some people do most of their business with one. Some might have higher degrees than I, but I have a higher degree of difficulty in owning a laptop. I really need to consider the odds of keeping a laptop computer and moving around, camping, hiking and doing "the homeless thing," in general.
Of course, I could achieve great success as a star on U-Tube with a song, master any number of marketable computer skills, or just have some really enjoyable chess games against the machine, keeping me off the street and out of trouble.
A Groovy New Sound 
A new guitar would give me more enjoyment daily and I would sound better. I would make more money, but the amount would be something like a five percent interest, like savings banks used to pay, over the lifespan of the better sounding guitar. Certainly appreciable. I would have no way to share this groovy new sound with anyone but the modest multitudes, here in Mobile. My hopes of going worldwide and catching up with the other artists in the Big Time, (like Fiona Apple,) would rest in those people who promise to post videos that they just shot of you in some coffeehouse, up on U-tube. Those folks are out there but, I suspect that when they wake up in the morning all hung over, they listen to a bit of it, think: What was I thinking,? then swallow a couple of aspirins and delete it because it is giving them a headache.
A new guitar, equiped with a harmonica and solid cases to protect them both, would be better investments into my current business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.