Saturday, September 17, 2011

Sherrelle Gives Me A Cable
Friday,
Sherrelle, from Save-A-Lot gave me a cable to plug my phone into the computer and load my pictures. Thanks to her, all the pictures from New Orleans could become a part of this blog, as well as future pictures, like this one (right).
I spent three and a half hours on the blog post, and then went out to play, starting out with a handful of change.
Guitar Damaged
I opened my case to discover that my guitar had a dent on the edge which hits the ground every time the cheap strap on the cheap guitar case comes unfastened and I am not deft enough to break its fall with an outstretched foot.
The sound quality was affected, making it sound more "tinny," but I was able to make about 15 bucks, on a night when the traffic was light. Of course, after New Orleans, the traffic was bound to seem light, by comparison.
Having a lesser sound quality does not bode well for going back to the French Quarter, where world-class musicians play expensive instruments, but it is also a place where gypsies bang on washboards and play spoons. In the morning, I was given a piece of duct tape by a construction worker on Royal Street, and I should be back out tonight, without as much tinniness.
Police Search "Us"
I only drank about 3 dollars worth of beer last night. I got to sleep about 2 a.m. at the spot by the Port Authority, where I had slept the previous night until 10 a.m.
I slept until about 10 a.m. again, but was woken up by the sound of some other homeless guys who were trying to scale the fire escape on the building, in order to steal some copper wire which had not been stolen off of the abandoned structure yet. This soon brought the Port Authority police, who sat all three of us down, as if we were in cahoots, searched us all, ran all of our ID's, and then let us go.
I was the only one who had 12 dollars, a fancy cellphone and a guitar and spoke correct English giving away the fact that I was a "Yankee," but making believable my contention that I wasn't with the other two.
Sue, ever watchful for potential threats
to her cat, Kooky.
Later, the police merely waited by the recycling facility for those two yokels to come bumbling along pushing a shopping cart full of -you guessed it- stolen copper wire.
The 15 bucks will "allow" me to stay at least another day in Mobile. The city has the advantage of having more computer time available at the library. I could stay on for 5 or 6 hours, as opposed to maybe 2 hours in New Orleans, and that would be provided I spent the whole day there.
I don't know if Sue reads this blog, but I look forward to apologizing as many times as necessary to put myself back in her graces.
When we were walking together on Canal Street once, a couple of young black ladies approaching from the other direction on the sidewalk, both looked at me and shook their heads. I don't know how to interpret that, but, I'm sure I will find out how....
Ladies give me food
A couple of ladies, who were in the Save-A-Lot gave me some fish steaks, bananas, and an energy drink, after we had talked for a while about haircuts and other subjects. They are members of the revival which takes place at the Mobile Convention Center, as part of a rotating schedule. It has rotated back to Mobile, apparently.
They remembered me from last year, and remembered me being treated rudely.
They said that it was because they are always receiving death threats, and I was carrying a backpack and what could have been a guitar or an assault rifle. I didn't dislike the music THAT much; to warrant such a drastic act. It's not like they gave everyone else an egg except me.
Move your finger off the lens, Sue!!
My Mission
is to glorify God, but in the short term, I will try to get a tube for the back tire of the mountain bike, which I found in New Orleans.
Then, I will have to walk about 2 miles down the tracks and through the rail yard to get it; and then push it back through the same railyard; if I want to try to fix it in Mobile, which might be easier, except for the railyard part.
Otherwise, I will throw it on the train and try to fix it in New Orleans.
Either way, it will be a life saver both literally and figuratively, to have the means to ride out of the French Quarter after I'm done playing and go to a remote spot, where I can sleep well and keep my stuff.
I haven't looked as far ahead as getting Sue a bike; she may just never forgive me for leaving Kooky unattended in a Popeye's Restaurant on Canal Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.