Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blue Lights, Blues, Brews


I think that Tuesday's special focus will be upon the people in my life and in this blog, but first, some breaking news.
 

At least they waited until I ran to Stanley's for a hard lemonade before they started shooting
A shooting on Bourbon, at St. Louis Street, in the French Quarter about 12:30 a.m. injured seven people and killed a 25-year-old man. All of the victims were caught in the crossfire when two people began to shoot at each other in a crowd of costumed revelers celebrating Halloween, police said


 People Tuesday
Butterfry Praying The Brews


Today's profile will be  "Butterfly," shown to the right (hopefully, depending upon your browser and my html skills.) She plays the guitar and harmonica and sings the blues. She also sings reagae, for example; "Pressure Drop," by Bob Marley.


She sings with a Japanese "accent" making the Marley song "Plessure Dlop," and it is so cute.

I always try to encourage her, once telling her not to listen to some guy who wanted her to share the spot where she was (shown in photo.) I told her that whoever gets there first "owns" it.

She asks me to tune her guitar everytime she sees me, which is pretty frequently, because she is across the street from a beer store; squeals with delight with the adjustment of each string, and then gives me a hug.


Last night, I played on my Bourbon Street spot, down a ways from where the shootings happen.
Before I started, I had talked to two girls who were playing in the spot where Butterfly was playing (above). They had just finished. They said that it was "slow."
I looked around and didn't see a whole lot of Halloween revelers, "now that you mention it."
"We usually do about 20 bucks a set, and we barely made half of that," one of them (the leader, I guess) said.
They asked me if I wanted the spot (trying to save my life?) but I told them that I was going to go to another place to play.
"Well, let me go try to make my 20 dollars," I said as I rode off.
Things picked up drastically about an hour later (not just the gunplay) and I made just about 20 dollars, during my "set."
This is a contraption which John, one of the
Occupy New Orleans occupants, invented.
The guy seems to be incredibly intelligent.
If you haven't guessed it; it's for catching fish.
The fish wiggles the bait and winds up
hanging from a sapling by a hook...


I am still sleeping in the park with the Occupy New Orleans group and am starting to make a few friends.
There are some pretty interesting and intelligent people there.
I think the photo to the right, taken with the macro lens in my phone, will be of interest to Dave Veautour (who might be the subject of next Tuesday's "People" profile, -I'm not sure; that's what keeps this blog exciting. )
He will probably get more space than Butterfly, as I only met her last week.
Sue Blues
Sue had moved my sleeping bag from the tree limb where I had wedged it, Saturday night.
She did this, I found out too late, so that I could not tip-toe up and make off with it without causing her to wake up.
At the time, I was drunk on brandy and my first thought was that she had thrown it away or given it to one of the street people who in turn probably sold it for a pint of whiskey.
I did a terrible thing and yelled at her, and told her that I had heard from some people that she is a thief.
I think that, in the back of my mind, I was wondering if she was like Karrie, who was "turned on" by guys who could be mean. Karrie was suspicious of nice people, knowing that an unknown, darker side lurked somewhere beneath the surface, like a Loch Ness Monster. She thought there was more honesty in anger than in other emotions, I guess (but that is a subject for a Tuesday People Profile for another time.)
Sue is not like Karrie in that regard, I found out. I should have known that spreading that gossip would hurt her feelings; her being so sensitive to what others think of her.
It turns out that she did indeed move the bag, so I would have to wake her up, because she wanted to talk to me. About what, I may now never know.
She might have wanted to appologize for pushing me away Thursday morning; may have even wanted to become "affectionate" again. Paul Masson really let me down this time...
I haven't seen her since. She must be hiding. I know she wasn't killed in the shootings last night because the 2 who were, were men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.