Saturday, December 10, 2011

Strung Along

The weather is forcast to become milder next
week, with highs around 70 degrees.
But, within the next 10 days, I must head back
to New Orleans, and then probably points west.

Can a decent Saturday night allow me
to recover the bus fares and the money
spent on new strings, as well as make up
for having arrived back in town too late to have
played at the Artwalk the previous night??
Yesterday was all about
getting new strings for the Jasmine at the music store. It was also about getting those strings put on and getting back into town, in case the First Friday Artwalk was going down. (If the first Friday falls within the first few days of the month, then the second Friday of the month becomes the first Friday, at least as The First Friday Artwalk tallies it)
I left the library at 4:30 p.m., and began to walk towards the bus stop by the convenience store.
I got there, just as the two busses which go towards the music store went by, on their way to the music store. It was a dramatic foreshadowing of my missing the Artwalk.
The two busses run together because, at some point, they split, and it is common for someone to stop the first bus, tell the driver their destination, wherupon the driver will say "You wan't the bus right behind me."
I wound up waiting 50 minutes before the two busses again came along. I stopped the first, and wound up getting on the second.
I was at the music store at about 6 p.m., but, after a walk over a precarious bridge, where one false step and I could tumble down onto the interstate and go through someones windshield, killing all, I just missed the Dauphine Street by mere seconds!
I waited until 8:10 p.m. for the next Dauphine Street bus, which got me to the heart of Downtown Mobile, just as the First Friday Artwalk was already winding down...please leave the area; there's nothing more to see; please leave the area...
"Poor Time Management" Blamed
It was poor time management. I should have checked the bus scedules online ahead of time; then I would have known that I wouldn't have time to catch the bus stop by the beer store, not to mention, guzzle one down before the bus came.
It cost me a chance to play at an Artwalk, with brand new strings and the temperature in the high 40's.
It was a busking fiasco of grand proportion, this blog is flying at half mast right now....
Tonight will be Saturday night, with possibly a chance to redeem myself.

1 comment:

  1. While cold, it *is* sunny out in the Sf bay area now, and Saturday means the Sunnyvale farmer's market, plus several others that run on Saturdays. They tend to run year-round in the bigger towns. There's also a small, lame one in Morgan Hill on Saturday.

    I can't believe those bastards are keeping you there until the 20th. Do you think they'll throw you in jail for a month or something? I'm thinking they're going to want fine-money, and if you don't have it then into the hooscow you go. Unless they're feeling benevolent in which case they may dismiss the charges after stringing you along for all this time.

    In which case, you need to get the hell out of there!

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.