Saturday, January 14, 2012

9 More Days

Both offenses to take field simultaneously in
Saturday's matchup as part of and NFL "experiment."
It is Saturday Morning,
A Use For Howard
I have found a use for Howard. He gets a computer pass, allotting him his two hours per day on these computers. He gives me his two hours, and then he sits and reads several newspapers, and then novels, which he seems to fly through. I guess it's easy to read fast when you can't hear any distractions.
I can now spend 4 hours per day on the computers, which is a mixed blessing. While I am on the computer, I am not out on the street, putting in the 5 plus hours of playing which I have found necessary in order to maintain a semblance of a life.
These Next Nine Days
These next nine days, leading up to my courtdate, are going to be a test of something; I'm not sure what.
My foodcard is down to under 2 bucks, until 5 a.m., next Wednesday (89 more hours). Howard has offered to lend me money, should I be unable to make any on the street.
Today, the Saints play San Francisco on almost every television in the city, at 3 p.m., or so. Then, the Patriots play Denver at 8 p.m. I would love to watch the games, but that would take time away from playing. I will have to decide what is "more important." Funny how the two teams represent where I am trying to get the hell out of (NOLA), and where the hell I am trying to go (San Francisco).
I've noticed that musicians set up in the mainstream places, knowing that there is another group at the next block, and the next; knowing that they are only going to get one dollar from each person that broke a 20 dollar bill and is carying around the ones, just for the street performers. These musicians just put in the hours and eek out a living, one dollar at a time, banking upon one in every 25 people throwing them something. To me, that is an aweful lot of "rejection" to endure.
One on every block...
I have found that, at my quieter spots, away from that particular rat race, people will still throw one of their dollars, if they encounter me, but I am more likely to have them sit down and talk to me, out of curiosity about my lifestyle, and these people can make up for 20 or 30 of the one dollar throwers on Royal Street.
However...I'm thinking that, during the day, especially today, I might have to sit on Royal Street, the spot "known" for street performers, and feed off of the crumbs that people throw, until I have enough of a pile of them to at least get my laundry done, eat for a few days, buy a pack of smokes, and leave out of here in relative comfort, around the 24th of January.
Hopefully the sleeping spot will last until then. Maybe people feel sorry for Howard, and I guess that creates another "use" for him!
Sometimes I think that relationships are more important than anything else in the grand scheme of things and that all the fame and fortune in the world doesn't even stack up to the treasure stored in heaven when you befriend someone who wants a friend, but has trouble making them, and you look out for that person. Maybe, looking back, it will seem like the best thing that I did while in New Orleans, was help the poor guy out. I think that, sometimes, before shaking myself out of it.
A Letter From Karrie
Karrie sent a letter to my mom's address, which she has been able to keep a record of for more than a year now. She is in a shelter in Atlanta, Georgia. Her mom kicked her out, over something to do with reading lessons for Karrie. It may be that the family is trying to get more money out of her disability check, which they commondere

4 comments:

  1. I still don't understand why you don't just leave. They're just NOT going to send the G-Men after you all the way to New Mexico, or Texas, or California. You'll just drop off of the records, you're not a fleeing felon.

    I rode The Motorcycle From Hell more today, and survived. I then put 20-odd miles on the bicycle, the ultimate exercise and stealth exploration vehicle.

    I hope the Niners hand the Saints their asses just to prove a point: SF mo' bettah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Internet will probably not let me post this - which only highlights my sense that you have to get to an area where people like myself and the Lidgleys and others walk the streets and can be friends face to face, so that when the Internet is shut down entirely you won't be trapped in an area where most of the people are deadbeats and frankly, don't like you.

    I'm sending some strings and other stuff, so it will be a Priority Mail box, one of those videocassette sized ones I think. I'll send it to the Gravier St. address. Hopefully it will get to you before you take off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to apologize about the Saints, apparently the Saints fans were very poor sports. We have our "Oakland contingent" you'll learn what that means when you move out here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Saints fans that I see are the ones that watch the game for free on the jumbo-tron, set up in an area outside the stadium (I guess for the people who don't get into the game, because they EXPECT to sell out every ticket.) A lot of these are street people who could never afford the 100 dollar ticket, 11 dollar drinks, 50 dollar parking, 35 dollar Drew Brees shirt, and 8 dollar hot dogs that the real Saints fans, the ones that the team is really playing "for."
    When the Saints score, they dance around like the clowns that the city is famous for on Bourbon Street, as if they have any connection at all to the team besides residing here, to suck off of the tourists. I was thrilled to see the 49ers shut up the whole gaggle of them

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.