Friday, June 1, 2012

5 Dollars Away

New Orleans is just an hour and a half, and five dollars away, but, I feel like I am leaving for a month or more; packing all my best clothes, with seven changes of shirts.
It just feels like I might never return, like it did the last time I went.
I suppose it is because of the unpredictability of that place and the fact that, in order for me two spend five bucks to leave for Baton Rouge, I would have to have the five bucks, plus a five in my shoe, to ensure my passage back, plus a whole lot of other money to insure that the shoe money won't get spent in a fit of nicotine withdrawal.
It crossed my mind to spend these days between weekends in Mobile, Alabama, where I think that I could find a place to record music. But, that would feel too much like going backwards.
Last Bus 6 p.m.
It is time for me to go back to New Orleans. I told Sue, the Cambodian lady, formerly, Sue the Colombian lady, that I would be back on Friday. 
I don't believe in committing myself to anything. 
I remember the feeling when, at 22, I was hired by a big computer firm to work there every day, except weekends, until I was 65 years old. The building looked like a huge tombstone with "Daniel McKenna b.1962  d.2057; he was a computer technician, he will be missed." Written on it..
But, in this small instance, I think I will follow through on my promise to return on Friday, made to Sue, the Cambodian lady, the tambourine player formerly known as Sue the Colombian lady.
I now go to download an outline of chords for a song that Sue was listening to repeatedly on her notebook, called "Don't Leave Me This Way," from the late 70's, by I forgot who. I will play it for her. I like to think that it is about me leaving her "that way" that she had the song in her mind...
The last bus to N.O. leaves downtown terminal at 6 p.m. It is 4:12 p.m. now.
Howard will not accompany me.
I think he feels like he has done his part and helped me along by suggesting last week that we trek down there, where I made somewhere around 150 bucks, in what was probably 5 hours of actual playing.
He DOES ask me the morning question of "How'd you do last night?" every single morning, at about the same time, and has probably been keeping a tally and comparing the two cities. He could probably file my taxes as a self employed street musician based upon his morning question, and his memory, which still seems sharp at the age of 67 (he can still tell you the locations of every Jack-In-The-Box restaurant in every city that he has ever been in).
Misgivings
I still have misgivings and wonder if I should just stay in downtown Baton Rouge tonight and play on 3rd street, but, New Orleans has seldom disappointed in its ability to deliver the finer things in life and each time I have gone there, even with apprehensions, they have been dispelled -provided that I put in some effort, like playing for 5 hours.
Worries
Everything isn't care-free, though. The tuning machines on the guitar are starting to wear out, I already have to wind the B string in the opposite of the intended direction. 
And, of course, I have a 15 day jail sentence hanging over my head, should I be perchance brought in front of a certain judge.
I've heard that a lot of guitars disappear in the property storage room at that particular jail, which I have also heard was "the worst jail in the whole country; you don't want to go there, trust me."'
But those are probably the people talking who DON'T find the sound of urine hitting a stainless steel toilet 2 feet from where they are lying on the concrete to be soothing and sleep inducing.

2 comments:

  1. So ... the only drawback to jail is, you may lose your geetar.

    Truth be known, a fair number of truly down-and-out artists, almost all black (an exception being Charlie Musselwhite), have made their fame with the ol' "mississippi saxophone" AKA the harmonica, and done OK. Can you buy a decent geetar for $40? Nope! But you can buy a Hohner Special-20 for that, and that's a pro grade harp.

    As for the gat-dang orinoco, oroonie-oh, it's an OCARINA, it's OK but although I was pleased and proud to send it to you, if you are able to devote much time to it, devote same time to the IRISH WHISTLE, which you can get for under $10 at most music shops, and is a bit more rewarding. You can do more half-hole stuff on it, and it's one of those things white people like(tm) so you'll see much on the net about noted whistlers, not noted ocarinists.

    Try also SLIDE, get a deep Craftsman socket, like is used to pull spark plugs, those are the best. Whatever size fits your finger. You can play on a geetar with 3 strings and tune 'em to a chord and just slide it, you'll sound fine.

    At your level, street level, you should probably not worry about having access to a studio, or even electricity. Work on instruments that worked in the 1930s. Work on sounding musical. The kids with $1000/month to stay on the Grid can film you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have heard harp players of all levels, I'm at the level of using it as rhythm while soloing on the guitar, using the keys that you can't go wrong in if you just draw on the right chord and blow on the "other" chord.
    I heard Annie Raines play, back before my blog crashed (I lost almost two years of entries -though, it's possible that the venerable ol' Crudgleys have some of it "cached" -will have to e-mail them...) I had an extensive post about the 3 day "Springing The Blues" festival in Jacksonville.
    Annie's harp playing blew me away (get it? blew me away LOL LOL LOL!!!) and she managed to draw me in (more LOL!)
    but I wasn't listening to her as a harp player, and half watching her hips sway as she played, but, real soon I am going to find some of her music and try to play along with it to see just where I rate on the Harpometer, using a scale of one Annie- (novice), up to five Annie's- (pro)
    If you get a chance to check her out, I recommend it (apparently, female harp players are very rare, at least good ones; it must have been considered un-ladylike to play the thing; before Janis Joplin came along and played one -without a bra on, no less...)
    Annie plays with Paul Rochelle, who is about 60 years old to Annies 32 or so...it's like watching grandpa and little sister gettin' on the blues on the front porch...the old guy even sits in a chair and plays a National Steel guitar while Annie stands up and walks around; and even sings!
    Yup PaulandAnnie.com that's where you'll find them..but that's who I will compare myself to; and maybe the Blues Traveler guy; but I think he's more like a musical technical freak -more like "how does he play so fast" rather than "that's a pretty song" but that's just the opinion of a guy who draws on one chord and blows on the other, (and sucks all around LOL!!)

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.