Saturday, June 2, 2012

Slow Night

I got off the bus at the Tulane Street library, 
at about the same time as I had the previous week, and headed for my playing spot, as before, but had only about an 18 dollar night, 27 dollars short of the previous week.
There just seemed to be a different class of people; one's that probably scraped up whatever money they came with, under the sofa cushions.
The first hour yielded two dollars, which I converted into one Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA ale, returning to start my case out with one dime; and was given beer in lieu of tips a couple times in the process of making another 16 bucks by about midnight; I was out until about 3 a.m. with other people buying me beer to hear a song a couple times.
About all I remember before falling asleep...
I remember laying down next to Sue, putting my arm over her, and the next thing I knew I was waking up alone on her cardboard, never having heard her depart. Of course she can be as quiet as a mouse and as elusive as some animal known for its ability to be there one second and the "gone" the next. Maybe an Impala...
If At First You Don't Suceed
...keep on sucking.
I slept past noon at the sign spot and will get as early a start as possible; it's 2:41 p.m. now.
I will skip walking Royal Street and being compelled to stop and chat with every musician along the way, not wanting to offend any of them, and go directly to the Bourbon Street spot, trying to do something about the $15.19 that I woke up with early this afternoon..I should be well rested, at least.

4 comments:

  1. You're about due to go to jail again, so if I were you, I'd work on the ocarina, Irish/Penny Whistle, and harmonica. All are much easier to replace than a guitar much less one with good tuners.

    Those harmonicas I sent you, the kinda banana shaped one is about $30, the other one about $40. You might consider Lee Oskar harmonicas, you can get the "harp" part that goes inside instead of having to buy a whole new instrument.

    Myself, here I've gone and spent about $700 on my digital piano, books, stand, and I've not been playing the thing at all - been busier than a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest. Too busy to play the damned thing. Plus, when the land owner's back, I *really* feel like taking off for a week or so to Santa Cruz. *I* might just buy a harp again and a lil' amp and mic, and spend a good part of that week playing just to see how it flies. Of course also eat sushi, go to the Pier, and if there's one, take the boat tour of the harbor. Touristy shit is fun! I finally wised up and realized, Do the touristy shit or I'll regret it.

    My car just died and I'm fairly certain it's the fuel pump. Just more shit to deal with. Just spent $100 getting it towed back from the farm store to here. Now I have to drive the land owner's shitty BMW until I get my car fixed. And, if my car's still down when he's back, it means taking the bus to/from Santa Cruz for a much-needed vacation. Even more reason to pick up a harp!

    I don't regret buying the digital piano, I've wanted one for a while. No matter what other instrument, or singing, a person does, a piano is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I just went out and did errands, picked up a Lee Oskar harp in G at Guitar Center. It turns out our local 114-year-old music store has a ton of the replacement reed plates for Lee Oskars so it might be a good harp to own around here. And I like the G ones, they're the lowest.

    Maybe I can practice a few riffs, if I take some vacation time in Santa Cruz it means leaving in 2-3 weeks. If I can get some basic harp chops together, I might make it a harpin' week. There are two ways to do a harpin' week in Santa Cruz:

    Non-Homeless Way: Bring enough money for a motel room and food, sushi, beer, the usual things. When not kickin' back at the motel or eating sushi or taking a harbor cruise, blow that harp somewhere on Pacific. Probably blow the earnings on beer.

    Homeless Way: Walk an hour to the bus stop, then pay $2 to get onto the VTA #68. Take that to Diridon Station then the $4 "hippie bus" down to Santa Cruz. Get off at the transit center, walk up Pacific a bit, and settle down with backpack etc., and start playin' harp. Never worry about motel, sushi, etc., because they're about as affordable as a Saturn V rocket. Certainly blow your earnings on beer. Sleep "wherever".

    Naturally, right now, I'm taking the Non-Homeless Way. But seriously, I could (if I were a glutton for punishment) do it the Homeless Way if I had to. I have to add that if my car's still down when I plan to go, I'll just bus it, it's not that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ever so for you post.Really thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.