Monday, July 2, 2012

40 Minutes Of Music

Saturday night, I managed to make about 32 bucks,
in between replacing strings, which were snapping like a doo wop group.
I was totally sober up until I did the "stash and dash," putting my stuff in the bag of the hot dog cart guys truck, and jogging off to the hood store for one 24 oz. Natty High Gravity Lager, and back.
I had made less than 5 bucks at that point but, as has been the case here on Friday nights, made another 27 bucks between 1 a.m. and 2:45 a.m. 
Sherman, previously referred to as The Photographer Guy, showed up at my spot and invited me to crash at his place once again, and then to record music the following day, which was today
We woke up at about 11 a.m., and then decided to go to The Guitar Center where I would get new strings and pegs for my guitar, and Sherman would actually buy 3 microphones and cables. 
He asked me to refrain from drinking beer during the recording session, and I had a notion to return to Scotlandville, but decided that it would be foolish to pass up an opportunity to record in an air conditioned room, using brand new "Digital Reference" microphones and his Ibanez guitar which makes mine sound like it's made out of a cereal box with rubber bands for strings. 
After a frantic session of setting things up and deciding what signal would go where -metronome to the left headphone but not to the computer; voice, but not guitar, to the monitor etc. -we were finally ready to record. 
I had a mic for the guitar and one for my voice and could hear the metronome in my left ear. I chose a few songs that fit the tempo of the metronome and just played and sang; busker style; picking the songs randomly and even choosing to do "Your Song," by Elton John at the blistering speed of 138 beats per minute. 
Then, with the "tape" still running, we put the metronome up to 180 beats per minute for the last medley of Me And My Uncle into Mexicali Blues, by The Grateful Dead, which may have come out the best of the half dozen songs that were recorded. Now, they reside on my hard drive; just acoustic guitar and vocal, guided by an unheard metronome.  
The sound quality is vastly superior to anything that I had managed to achieve using the on-board microphone on the laptop and recording by the side of a highway. I wanted to post a sample, but will be patient and put the icing on the cake tomorrow, which is today, since it is already 6 a.m., by adding electric guitar and simulated electric bass guitar and perhaps harmonica. The only thing that I might add in Scotlandville would be the 5 gallon bucket drum; which should be possible, given that I stuck to the metronome pretty strictly. 
I'm tired now and still have recording to do later on, so off to sleep with me...

1 comment:

  1. Sherman sounds Heaven-sent. This is about how I figured it has to work out - you've got the notice of one of the Kool Kids who can afford a new Iphone every 6 months, $500 a month for a T1 line, whatever it takes, can go out and buy mics at Guitar Center like a normal (broke) person buys sodas, etc. This is the kind of guy you need to work with, as a team.

    I knew a guy locally here who I wanted to do videos with, the dude has an insanely expensive degree in digital media or something, but no "soul" musically, and I figured we'd team up. But he moved back to his parents' place far away.

    I need to get a memory card for this one little camera I have, then I can record myself and put what I'm doing on my blog. Then you can critique: "Hahaha that's the worst version of 'frolic' I've ever heard! Red River Valley? Sounds like the city dump!"

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.