Monday, October 1, 2012

Baton Down The Hatches

One More Day In Depressing Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge is throwing everything at us in the way of miserable weather, a plague of toads, a plague of flies, a plague of ants and a plague of rain, plus a downright chilly night last night which exposed the fact that I don't have any winter type clothing at all. It has all been lost or stolen.
The past few nights, the almost constant rainfall compelled a couple of toads to join us on the patio where we sleep. "I thought frogs liked the water," ruminated Howard.
"Those aren't frogs, they're toads, Howard."
"Oh..."
Yesterday morning, we found a use for the Baton Rouge Sunday Advocate when we created fly swatters out of it and went to war against the pests, killing about 50 and wounding another dozen or so. Pretty soon we had whittled them down to the smartest and fastest few. Those will reproduce, passing along their genes, so that our childrens children will have faster, smarter flies to contend with.
I got an all day bus pass and went to the big Wal-Mart where I bought headphones. I got the little, "ear bud"  style, after the guy in Electronics assured me that they are making them better than they were a few years ago when you couldn't hear any bass through them unless you press them into your ear canals.
I then got an 8 gigabyte flash drive, so I can at least back up this blog, and once again begin to compile all my lyrics and stories.
Those are two items which the police stole from me or "accidentally" threw away, and which I have a small chance of getting back if I ever get officer Chutz on the phone. The chance I have of getting them back is the same chance that officer Chutz is a decent and professional cop who wouldn't throw a bunch of stuff away just out of meanness or to hinder a homeless person out of personal prejudice or a belief that the homeless person probably stole the stuff.
East For The "Fest."
My Friend, Sue! My Friend, Sue!
I now turn my eyes to the east in preparation for the Bayfest Music Festival in Mobile, Alabama, October 5th, 6th and 7th. The trip has been delayed one more day.
Howard wants to come along with me (of course, he does) and we would be on a bus for New Orleans (as part of the first "leg" of the Journey) right now, if it weren't for the fact that a check for the balance of my account at the jail, which was mailed 4 days ago has not made it 30 miles to the other jail, yet, or it has disappeared like my harmonica, jump drive, capo, picks, flashlight and other stuff that I won't become aware of the absence of until I reach for them and they just aren't there.
Last year the Bayfest people had said that "next year" (this year) when they wouldn't have any more millions of dollars from British Petroleum as a sort of salve to ease the discomfort caused by a huge oil spill, they (the Bayfest people) wouldn't be able to attract the same caliber of talent as they did last year, and we wouldn't be seeing no Reba McIntyres and no Motley Crues or Mary J. Bliges.
But, as a teaser of this years lineup, I will say that my Journey will include a stop in New Orleans where I will try to play Loverboy to Sue hidden in a Bush under the Pretty Lights before getting out of there because the place kind of gives me the willies (as in Nelson) and I shouldn't be roaming the streets (as in Roman Street).
First Stop New Orleans
The first stop will be in New Orleans to find Sue, hoping among other things that she is alright and that she has a blanket or a sleeping bag to give to me. She is a repository for such things, and goes around handing them out to homeless people who are too irresponsible to make sure that they have them; pigeons aren't the only things that she takes care of...
The stuff that came up missing after my arrest is going to be a real pain to replace; it will set me back so that, instead of getting things like a better guitar and a good microphone and an adapter for the Samsung laptop, which has a battery that could allow me to record music in a remote, quiet place where I don't have to worry about traffic noise or looking over my shoulder; I will be worrying about things like clothing and toothpaste and keeping my laundry clean and my face shaved -real grass roots homeless type stuff.
The Atkins Diet
Does one have to be a living legend,
In order to make a living?
I have been listening to a "steady diet" Chet Atkins on Youtube and feel like I need to re-teach myself the guitar. I know there are plenty of musicians who are still successful despite not being as good as Chet, namely everyone else who plays the instrument LOL!
I understand that, not having heard any bluegrass music at all growing up, it sounds almost incomprehensible to me because I've never been trying to make those sounds, but it's the same as when I hear flamenco, classical or guys like Alan Holdsworth or Mark Knopfler or Kaki King and the "how the hell do they do that?" part of my brain wont let me rest.
Maybe I will never want to write a flamenco piece, but it would just be nice to be able to.
Hopefully the Bayfest crowd and their more pedestrian tastes "Play some Neil Young..." will boost my confidence as a musician. I'm just about virtuoso-ed out right now.
I used to think that I was pretty good at the Grateful Dead stuff that I have put a lot of my focus into; but now I am listening to Jerry Garcia playing bluegrass (on Youtube, again) and am dealing with issues of insecurity...

6 comments:

  1. Amazing "sea of white people" photos there. Which might be why you do well at the 'fest.

    White people like whiney white guys with guitars. They like soulful black people with guitars a lot more, but at least they like whiney white guys with guitars to *some* extent.

    Which is why I still say you should make tracks out here to California and live a new life. The homeless around San Jose here live pretty well, there are tons of services, tons of parks to lay around in and urinate on things. San Jose State is a huge campus and you might be able to get into a class or two.

    I've bitten the bullet and signed up for a lesson from my old clarinet teacher, and that's on Wednesday. I'm going to get there hours early and play for the lunch crowd and see how I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they like almost anyone who has sweat running down their forehead, even if they are putting a gargantuan effort into really sucking. There was a guy pounding on one chord and singing whatever popped into his head and was doing it because that behavior had been rewarded in the past LOL! On Royal Street right where the likes of Tanya and Dorise had just vacated the spot....

    ReplyDelete
  3. But he was really high energy and people couldn't help having a "can you believe this guy?" grin on their faces...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you have a point, I think it's part of the Calvinist white-people thing.

    What I've noticed so far is, so many of the street musicians are kinda blase', they lack pep and verve. They lack conviction. It could be 1-chord guy was actually fairly creative and "all there" with his random utterances. And for random, well, a guy named Slim Gaillard rode a song called "Cement Mixer" to stardom and it's awfully random. Slim Gaillard was cool.

    If you can learn Atkins-style picking with those finger picks, you might easily double your earnings, won't have to go to a nylon string guitar, and shouldn't break strings so often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the blase-ness comes from the fact that a busker has to put in 5 hours a night on average to have a realistic shot at paying the bills; unless she is Tanya, who has to put in an average of one song to pay MY bills, or 5 hours per night to pay for her house and van and her vacations to Australia and China or Hawaii...
    At a gig where there is a 12 song set list, the performers can basically pour it on for the 50 minutes and then take a break and come back for another set and don't have to save themselves and their strings as much...
    By the way, the spell check still red-sqiggly-lines the word "busker" -when will we get some respect from Noah Webster?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah a good busker with verve can really zing in some money.

    Sigh. I'm going to my lesson tomorrow and I'm not sure if I'll be "ready for prime time" as far as playing on the street for the lunch crowd. I'm improving each practice, but if I'm just going to be a pain in the ear, I'd rather just sit it out. I need some numbers that I have "down", and I'm not there yet. Which is OK, money's not an emergency.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.