Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Comedy Open Mic

"A Guy Walks Into A Bar..."
And, so I'm walking past The House of Blues last night, and I spot "Tuesday Comedy Open Mic" amidst their mosaic-style window poster, a small miracle as the poster is as "busy" to the eye as the whole building itself (see?).
And so, I was thinking that maybe I am being led by a higher power to go there tonight (sober, unless I busk somewhere today in the 45 degree air just for beer money) and do my stand-up routine, which, at this point runs all of about 6 minutes.
It might be a good test to see if I can improvise in order to stretch those 6 minutes to about 20; or even to the point where "the guy" has to give me the universally understood "pointing to the spot on his left wrist where a watch would be if he were wearing one" gesture.
It will also be a test to see if the stuff that was funny in Mobile will be funny in NOLA.
Wouldn't it be funny if, after struggling with music for 35 years, I become an over night sensation as "The Homeless Comic?"
And what better venue than The House of Blues where the biggest names in the world have performed, to make a splash at?
New Photos
Is Planning a Daniel McKenna
tribute band...
 I have gotten a few photos which Sherrelle, from Mobile (a blog follower) took at the Save-A-Lot, on the occasion of Jennifer the assistant manager working her last day at that location before being shuttled to Pensacola, Florida.
I have a plan in the works to start an Elvis Costello tribute band. I can sing kind of like the guy, and he is one of my top 5 favorite songwriters...
I guess this photo (below) just adds fuel to that fire...
Sneaking Peeks

Last night, I really wanted to watch the Patriots play the Houston Texans, and so I did; standing in front of Sneaky Pete's bar and sneaking peeks through the front door; running to The Unique Boutique during commercials to spend all 4 of my dollars on beer.
The bartender changed the program to a tennis channel during the third quarter, a move obviously aimed at myself.
I moved to a spot in front of another place, and was able to watch until such a point that the Patriots capped off a wild play by recovering their own fumble for a touchdown, whereupon I celebrated by pumping a fist; and then the TV was immediately shut off, by the bartender, who might be a Houston Texans fan.
Nola Gives Back
On the way back to the sign spot at around 10 p.m. in the frigid air, I found an almost full bottle of Budweiser on the curb in a spot where people leave them who don't want to get into their cars with them. It was nice and cold, as was everything else, except a container of chicken soup, which had been placed atop a trash can in front of the Subway, near The Unique Boutique. It was still warm, and I had delusions of my guardian angel having placed it there a moment earlier.
I was actually walking past that establishment, even though I was broke, on the chance that I would run into "The Guy Whom You Make Some Kind Of Witty Aside To Who Then Offers To Buy You A Beer." I didn't see him, but the bottle of Budweiser was the same thing in effect.
I put the chicken soup in my pack and set off for the sign spot, where I woke up Howard and offered it to him. 
"Oh, sure!" said Howard, not one to refuse any free food.
"It probably has soy oil in it, so I don't want it," I said.
"OK."
80 to 38 In One Day
My sleeping bag and fleece blanket was just enough thermal protection to allow me to fall into a sleep which was disturbed by dreams.
With Jennifer; One For The Road...
So, This morning I went to The Rebuild Center, where I was chosen second (against great odds) of the 12 names which are pulled in the "lottery" each morning to see who can have their clothes washed and dried.
I waited for mine to be finished before taking a hot shower and then putting almost every stitch of them on my back; two pairs of jeans and about 6 tee shirts under a couple of button up ones, with a hoodie as the outer layer.
I will be in better shape tonight to combat the 38 degree air which is forecast.
Of course, I could be such a huge hit at The House of Blues doing comedy that someone might say "Come on, I'll get you a motel room. Do you want a regular gig here?"

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. Laundry costs me at least $5 and I have to take the trolley and bus to get there.

    One thing, this month I got a VTA monthly pass so it's a flat $70 and I can ride all I want. A real bargain if I'm using it every day. Last month my transit fees came to $90 and that's when I knew it was time to get a pass.

    You might as well try comedy, you probably can't to worse than your guitar playing (arguably I'd do better in comedy than with my trumpet, but I want to keep on keeping on, so that if in the end I find myself to be a genius at comedy, I'll be one of those comedians who actually plays an instrument well, like Weird Al with his accordian, or Steve Martin with his banjo).

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.