Friday, May 31, 2013

Caseys IntheQuarter: Another Round

Thursday night, Tanya and Dorise were booked to play at Caseys from 8 untill 10 p.m.
It was 4 p.m. when I left the library after yesterdays post...
I had 3 hours to kill and to try to stay relatively sober.
I got a Hurricane Lager and then went by that bar where I learned the above.
Casey himself was there, and said "Nice Grateful Dead" to me as I was milling about.
Aparently he had recognized the chords from Eyes Of The World which became the aborted jam with Tanya, the previous week.

That started me thinking that, perhaps I could try to use the oportunities as a way to try to get them hooked on a Grateful Dead song, or two; it would be a "gas" to hear them play any number of them on the street. "Truckin'" would be right up their alley.

I had time to kill so I got another beer and went to my Bourbon Street spot and managed to come up with $5.50, in about a half hour; which is exactly the cost of the gin at Caseys.
I was planning upon telling her "I don't need you to buy me a drink, I just made enough for one," and I definitely was going to tell her that I didn't expect it. I didn't want to feel like that dog that follows you around after you feed it once.
I actually planned my initial conversation with her.
I would say "I can't wait to hear you play" (because I actually was in the mood to hear violin music).
And then: "By the way, I don't expect you to buy me a drink every time I come here."
And then: "Rob doesn't use the fiddle at all, it just stays in the case; I haven't heard him fiddle once!"
All this went basically as planned, when I encountered her on Decatur Street.
She saw me first; from across the street.
"Hey, Daniel, where are you going?" 
She was with another young lady, who turned out to be from Mexico; and a singer.
"I can't wait to hear you play," produced an uncomfortable smile and her trademark "wrinkling of scepticism" around her upper nose, which could have meant ...and buy you a drink, huh?
"You hear me play every day!"
"I've been too lazy to untangle my earbuds and haven't listened to music all day...except my own..."
The mention of Rob and the fiddle changed the subject, and she surprised me by asking "Do you want me to take it back from him?"
"No, I don't want to put you in that position; what's done is done. Besides, He'll be ready to sell it as soon as he runs out of cash..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.