Wednesday, November 13, 2013

All My Exes Live In NOLA

  • Tuesday's Cold Front
  • Bamboulas Open Mic
  • Xanna Sighting
  • Karrie Is Here
I guess I will start with the most recent and work backwards:

This morning, I got to the library and noticed a woman sitting on the steps, who smiled at me.
I thought that she was a certain woman who paints her face and body white and who dresses like a jewelry box dancer and stands as a living statue on Bourbon Street.
It was not the living statue, but a woman who explained to me that "We used to live in the woods together in Jacksonville..."
A closer look revealed her to be none other than Karrie, whom I have not seen since May 31st, 2010, before I got on a bus for Mobile, Alabama and left her "crying at the bus stop" (according to subsequent reports) in that .
She has lost a lot of weight, 50 pounds of it ("I quit drinking beer) and shaved her eyebrows ("My face got burned") and seems to even have a different accent.
She had a pack of cigarettes in her purse, but wouldn't sell me one, not even for a dollar ("I have to pan-handle for them") and wouldn't give me her cell phone number ("I just don't want to get in trouble").
"You must have a boyfriend," I said, thinking that the cigarettes probably belonged to him and that having me in her contacts would be what might get her in "trouble."
"No, I don't have a boyfriend," she said, before she went off to The Rebuild Center to eat lunch at 1 p.m.
And that is the way it stands; I'm not going to rush into anything.
If I wanted to rush into anything, I would have reached for the 150 dollars that I still have left from the weekend; and offered to buy her some better food than what is likely to be the fare at the homeless center; and then; old habits might have taken over and the next stop might have been the liquor store...
She looks very good and healthy; and, if it is truly because she has stopped drinking, then I'm not going to be the devils advocate.
If old habits take over then, she will find me at the right times and places; like she used to do.
We need to take things slowly, to maybe establish a different kind of relationship than we had before.
I had been standing and talking to Leslie about 25 feet away from where she was sitting just 10 minutes prior to our meeting, and the subject of the conversation had somehow drifted to her.

Bamboulas Open Mic
I did all of my laundry last night, and dried it very well and put most of it on, as the weather forecast was for temperatures to drop to 40 degrees with winds strong enough that people were advised not to leave their empty trash cans by the street.
I saw that the new club, Bamboulas, on Frenchman Street, was having open mic night from 9:30 till 11:00 p.m.

A walk past my playing spot showed it to be deserted.
The wind was already picking up with cold breezes strong enough to blow tips out of a guitar case hitting my face.
Not A Good Idea
I decided to grab Leslie from his apartment and we would go to Bamboulas and jam at the open mic night.
I thought this would be good because Leslie knows the owners of that place, as they are also the owners of Last Call, on Bourbon, where Leslie does odd jobs.
I thought it would elevate his stature with them should they hear how well he plays the harmonica; and I thought it would be good to get out of the cold on a night when I probably wouldn't have made much money, anyways.
Leslie was in his apartment and had 3 cans of Hurricane Lager which he had not yet drunk, and a half pint of whiskey in his pocket, but couldn't remember where it had come from.
We arrived at the venue and I was greeted by Sal, who is a very good singer and guitarist who does old blues from the 1920's. "I'm hoping to get a gig here," he said.
He was scheduled to go on after the guy who was up there doing pretty decent stuff that sounded original; but who was a jerk when I tried to compliment him upon it.
Sal got up and played.
The PA system was set in a way that destroyed most of the effect of his voice.
He sings with a very wide vibrato and bends notes with a lot of dynamics; and has interesting lyrics; all of which was washed away by the reverb and echo on the sound system; and I realized just why people in the 1920's developed vocal styles like Sal and why they didn't need, and would have been annoyed by, too much reverb and echo.
Amp Search Continues
?

Useless Leslie
By the time Sal finished playing, Leslie was barely standing up and wasn't sure where he was.
I told the guy running the thing: "I would get up and play, but my partner isn't exactly in playing condition..."
"I wouldn't have let him go up, anyways," he said.
 Leslie is useless after around 7 p.m. on any given evening, I am learning...
Xanna
Monday afternoon, I saw Xanna (another ex girlfriend; see 2001) standing by the off ramp of Route 10 holding a little sign begging motorists for money.
She had several items of luggage strewn around her along with a little kitten, which she said she has named "Captain Ghost" (another reference apropos of 2001).
I gave her a dollar, out of the 200 or so which I had left over from the weekend.
San Francisco Fans
This weekend, the Saints have another home game and we are expecting the San Francisco fans to be as generous as the Dallas fans were.
It shouldn't hurt me -the fact that I play in the gay district of the Quarter...
Another Cold Night
Another cold night is forecast; though not as cold as last night, and without the wind.
I will make an effort to play.
I have been invited to crash at Leslie's place.
Karrie is invited, too.

4 comments:

  1. Aha! Now, if you can get Karrie back into drinking, you can get her back with you, and if you can get her to play anything, even a tambourine, while you play, you can get good money playing. You'll make enough together to keep the both of you in drink and cigs, and can elect to keep Leslie in your circle or not.

    It's pretty funny that Karrie had to remind you of who she was, although it sounds like she changed her appearance quite a bit. And accent? How's that supposed to work?

    BTW I keep forgetting to mention this to you, but I get that sore throat thing where it hurts on one side fairly often. Coincidentally, I was reading some survivalist crap one day, and it was mentioned that in old times people died from this disease, that disease, and quinsy. And I thought, now WTF is quinsy? So, I looked it up, and it turns out that quinsy is when one or both tonsils get infected, or get an infection on them, that causes exactly that type of pain you and I have been getting. The last time I got it, I made a point of swallowing hard a few times "on" the pain, to in effect flush the pus away. There's no more delicate way to put it. I think the best course of action when we get this, is to swallow hard a few times "on" it (which made mine go away fast), to take lots of fluids that would have a good washing effect like soup, and to try to not let our mouths get dry when we sleep (something I think causes me to get it).

    I don't know if they have 'em out where you are, but here in California you can get these Chinese dried plums, almost "mummified" plums lol. When I was a kid we ate 'em as candy, but as an adult I call 'em "Chinese cough drops" and suck on them when I have a cold. They're magic on a sore throat, and good for this quinsy business too. If people in olden times were keeling over from quinsy, and of course old time people would have included old time Chinese people too, it's no wonder they had, and have, a whole industry of producing these dried plums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW San Francisco does not automatically equal gay. I'm betting the SF fans will be cheap motherfuckers, but that's based on the fact that anyone with enough money to travel all the way over there from here, has to be a rich motherfucker, and thus a real tightwad. I hope you do well though.

    You think you can teach Karrie to play anything musical at all? A guy/gal duo, even if the gal just does elementary stuff, should do as well or better than you do with Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is that what is happening is that the gland on the side of my throat under my jaw and very close to the ear is the gland responsible for making mucous to flush the lungs out i.e. what you cough up -no more delicate way to put that either LOL -
    because the pain extends to under my sternum at about where the concentrated smoke would stick to the lungs; but along a narrow nerve; and my spine, right at about the shoulder blades and higher has been chronically "stiff" lately...I might just have to quit smoking as the control in an experiment...
    Karrie is clean and sober and in some kind of shelter/pass-the-breathilizer-test-or-you-sleep-outside/program; I have deduced by dint of my observation that she was not at the "feeding" at 6 p.m. nor out on Bourbon Street after that last night...
    She will fly the coop and will be walking up to me all drunk and ready to resume our "relationship" within 2 weeks; I am guessing; afterall, she knew all about this blog; and thus knew all about Baton Rouge; where she went, but didn't see me; and now NOLA, where she knew enough to be at the library at a certain time; she always had a knack for appearing out of nowhere; and I can't imagine that she has had many better boyfriends than I the past few years; that's not self praise; but rather an observation upon what kind of "humanity" she seems to attract to herself...time will tell...
    out of time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okee-dokee! You seem to be pretty good at finding places to live, and frankly it sounds like a better life than the breathalizer test or sleep outside thing. And she seems to be good at rustling up money, and if you can teach her anything musical, a shaky egg, anything, it will help the busking a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.