Monday, November 18, 2013

They Call It Stormy Monday

I woke up feeling depressed this morning, just before noon.
I was sleeping on Leslies' floor, where I had landed at about 2 a.m.
Saints vs. 49ers
Playing outside the Saints game had not been very lucrative the evening before; netting less than 20 dollars.
It was a close game; decided in the final seconds; so there were very few people tricking out early.
They came out en masse and, within 15 minutes, they were tricking.
Leslie was nowhere to be seen.
We were within a few blocks of the stadium when we came upon the first trash can with almost full drinks almost falling out of it.
One of the bright green vested workers was about to empty it.
"Oh, these are mine!" said Leslie, grabbing 3 cups of scotch and water before the worker could get his hands on them.
"This is crazy!!" he added, and made quick friends with the worker, who informed him that he finds whole bottles of liquor "and drugs, and everything on his job.
Leslie remained by the trash can, as the worker emptied it by hand, ready to pounce upon the first whole bottle of liquor that he saw.
We watched the game on a large screen at a "tailgate party," but Leslie couldn't sit still and made several forays out into the streets to look for more free liquor; and after the last trip, he never returned.
I played solo; and it is probably just as well. I won't have to split the less than 20 dollars with him; and I didn't have to buy him alcohol.
Me And My Arrow
The past week, throughout which I estimate that I made $275; Leslie has been like a shadow; or a tail, if you will.
I balked at using other descriptions, like "leach," or "sponge" because of the naivety of his ways and the simple joy which he gets out of life; but am starting to have doubts.
When he got 100 dollars (for selling his food stamps) 10 days ago; it may have lasted 4 days.
It was basically spent upon alcohol and herb for himself and his friends, and his "friends."
He even ate at the missions, so as to reserve his money for the above.
I had to be careful not to take advantage of him; as he was just a fountain of the above (would never say "no") and I felt like I was in danger of accruing a karmic debt.
I tried to keep track of how much I "owed" him.
One night, after I played and made about 30 dollars; I didn't have to buy cigarettes, because he had bought me a pack; and I didn't want another beer, because he had bought me a 6 pack; and so I gave him 10 dollars.
All About The Booze All About
Yesterday, I became convinced that his number 1 priority is consumption of alcohol.
I had suspected that he is not as feeble minded as he may try to appear to be during the 3 days (Monday through Thursday) that I didn't busk because of cold weather and high winds.
I had started the week with over 200 dollars on me
The Ghost of Addiction Present
He took to shadowing me; beginning in the mornings and ending when he was drunk enough in the evenings to want nothing more than to go home and sleep.
If I was sleeping under the dock, I would get a text from him: "Where are you?"
I felt sorry for him at times; because I knew he was craving alcohol; yet would very rarely ask me outright.
But he would say and do things which seemed manipulative in hindsight; and which the A.A. people would probably have a specific term for.
It was like being followed by The Ghost of Addiction Present.
When a person goes from moping along with a downcast deportment to literally jumping for joy at hearing the words "I got you one," as someone emerges from the beer store; there comes an almost passive aggressiveness into play.
It felt like I was being conditioned by him.
I suspected that he planned to follow me around the entire day; knowing that I was going to drink at some point; knowing that I would feel uncomfortable drinking in front of a friend without offering him some; and knowing that I had just passed the night in the safety and warmth of his apartment.
I always felt like I was being steered towards the beer stores.
His conversation, which had previously seemed like the idle, light-hearted trivial musings of an A.D.D. person began to be fraught with subtle machinations by Thursday; as he was following me around for the 4th day.
"Really?"
As I spoke, and after almost everything I said, he countered with: "Really?"
This is an irritating habit of his.
I could point to a pelican and say "There's a pelican." and he would be likely to counter with "Really?!?" when he could see the bird right there.
I could pull a guitar pick out of my pocket and hold it out to him and say "I found my orange pick," and he would say "Really?" as if the thing might be an illusion.
I wondered if he wasn't just patronizing me and waiting. Waiting for me to desire my (our) next beer.
I See Your True Colors
One of the things that I have been doing is playing the cash 4 lottery when I go into Uniques to get a beer (or 2 if I am with Leslie).
I use a system whereby I look at all the colors that jump out at me from my surroundings.
Yellow is 3; Violet is 9; etc...
We were walking together yesterday and were about a block away from the beer store and Leslie started to mention different colors, in statements such as; "Wow, she has an orange dress" or "Look at that flashing blue light," etc.
I really think that he was trying to manipulate me to want to run to the store so that I could play my Cash 4 number (and get us each a beer).
"Really?"
This has turned into a diatribe against my friend, I am afraid...
I still consider him that; but have learned that someone can get on ones nerves; a person can "O.D." on another when that other person is stuck to her like glue.
One More Time...
I was in The Quartermaster, one block down the street from his place, getting an energy drink for myself yesterday morning.
"Just this?" asked the lady in the store after I put the drink on the counter.
Just then, as if on cue, I saw him slowly skulking by; with his normally smiling face turned towards his shoes. He looked like he had lost his best friend.
He could have been praying that I would come out of the store with a beer for him.
I guess God answers Leslies' prayers.
"How much are your cheap beers? My friend is probably craving one..."
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a tag-along annoyance. You need to get Karrie to tag along with you that way.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.