Sunday, May 15, 2016

44 Dollar Saturday

Saturday night was a strange one.
I was rushing to get to the music store before it closed at 8 PM, only to buy one guitar pick.
The one that I have been playing with for months has been worn to a size smaller than a dime.
I got there to find the store still open, though it was after 8 PM, due to the fact that some customers were in there loading up on vinyl records at 30 bucks a pop; whom I am sure were being told: "Take your time," by the manager who stood to profit several dollars for every additional minute that he stayed open.
So, I slinked in and got my 39 cent pick in the midst of it.
I got to the Lilly Pad, after having passed a busker nearby the Quartermaster on my way there.
I set up my stuff.
It was very early by my standards, shortly after 8 PM.
Alan sat on his stoop across from me, as did Barnaby on his.
I had forgotten the milk crate which I had hidden nearby.
I repacked my stuff and then went to get it, from behind the elementary school where both Richard Simmons and Lenny Cravitz went.
I walked the block back to the spot to find that the busker who had been across from the Quartermaster was now right by Lilly's stoop, playing a Led Zepplin song while a buddy kept time on some kind of tambourine.
I was able to coax him to leave after telling him that I had just gone to get my milk crate, and after flipping the LED spotlight on, which I had left positioned in the vines above where I play.
I was half-way through the night when a medium built black guy came and sat on the stoop next to me.
After he began skeezing people, I asked him if he could skeeze elsewhere. He refused to move, even though I had already been there playing at the time that he came and sat and didn't tip, but was rather positioning himself to skeeze; maybe even thinking that my music could attract him victims.
I took a 10 minute break to call Lilly, who was at Rouses Market and who took all of 20 seconds to get the guy to move on; raising her voice just once, I heard from about 50 feet away on the other side of the street.
I resumed playing, on my way to what surprised me as a 44 dollar night, because it hadn't seemed like I was getting tipped profusely; though I did play a total of 4 hours.
Not long after Lilly had run the guy off; another young black kid came by and asked me if the guy had left, pointing to the stoop.
"I just got back from the store and he wasn't here," I said.

1 comment:

  1. Oh geez, I've had a bum sit *right* next to me in Mountain View, on one of the seat/planter things ... frankly I think it was a regular place for him to sit but I didn't let that stop me - I was playing a PVC flute I'd made, plans are online, and since the sound of a flute tends to come out the end, I positioned the end right next to his ear and played as loud as I could. He left.

    Another time I had some big (Irish?) guy hustle back and forth in front of me for money for beer, fortunately once he had the funds for a brewski he took off.

    I've joined that organization that makes *you* want to drink more, AA, and for me, it's a fit. I'm working on getting back out there with the trumpet as soon as this Tuesday, and I've got my stupid blog going again, http://www.buskinginsiliconvalley.blogspot.com and I've got you linked on there.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.