Saturday, March 11, 2017

How To

  • $45 Thursday
  • $47 Friday
This post was done on my new linux system.

The computer situation is topsy-turvy right now, as the cable arrived in the mail which allowed me to hook the hard drive, salvaged out of the fried laptop, up to the new laptop.

It worked like a charm as far as turning the hard drive into a 500 gigabyte external drive.

I was able to access all of the files which previously resided on the old laptop. And was able to copy every document, picture, song, that has accumulated on the Thinkpad in the 3 weeks that I've had it; onto it.

The next step was to put Ubuntu Linux on the thing, effectively wiping Windows and everything else away.

The problem started after I put Ubuntu linux on the laptop.

At that point, linux complained that it could not mount the hard drive because Windows was in "hibernation," and needed to be shut down completely.
I think Windows was in hibernation when it went down, April 6th, 2016.

That is the date on the song that I was working on when the thing fried, and there is nothing with a later date that I could find.

And, the Sacred Heart computers require an "administrator" to anything like getting files off an external drive.

So, now, I'm off to at least put the linux version of Audacity on the thing, and then to Google "how to copy files off a Windows hard drive onto a linux desktop."

1 comment:

  1. $45 and $47 not bad, my average is $35 a day and I've learned to not mention that I have work around here because people will get this desperate look in their eyes and tell me they can work, does my job need any more work, etc etc.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.