Wednesday, February 21, 2018

No Patience For Those Deficient In Attention

15 minutes before Starbucks is going to close, and I'm just writing my first sentence.
Ben Lambie had been texting me all day, I discovered when I woke up at 4:30 in the afternoon.
His texts of "I need bud!!" reminded me of Harold the cat incessantly meowing when he wants something.
He wanted me to drop whatever I might be doing and somehow deliver weed to him, who is sitting in an Airbnb in a neighborhood where weed is probably being bought and sold on his front doorstep; but he doesn't want to walk up to a stranger and inquire about it, even if he walks up on them and they are in the process of smoking.
I don't know the exact nature of Ben's mindset.
I do know that I haven't talked to him for more than about 7 seconds before finding that he is no longer listening to me. His eyes go blank, he either reaches for his phone and starts poking at it or sees something in the distance and jumps in, cutting me off in mid-sentence, with some comment about it "Oh, there's a cellphone store, I'm gonna run over there," and he's gone.
I believe that he looks out at the world and sees everything, with myself, the person he is supposedly in a conversation with, as all just being stuff that is competing equally for his attention with no one thing being any more important than any other -all of it worth about 7 seconds of his attention.
This became annoying enough to me that, the last time I saw him and was showing him the Unique Grocery store and was in the middle of saying something; saw his eyes drift away from my face and into the Unique Store, with him starting to just talk over what I was saying about whatever had just caught his eye; I just let my voice trail off and I mumbled "You're not even listening to me, fuck you..." Which he didn't hear, because he was off to look at some Mardi Gras tee shirt or other brightly colored object which had become more important to him than anything ol' Daniel might have been talking about.
Fuck him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.