Thursday, March 15, 2018

"It's 12:13 On A Thursday...

...the regular crowd is home in bed; there was literally an old man, sitting next to me, making love to his tonic and gin."

These are the lyrics that rang out at that time of this (Thursday) morning.
It was an 18 dollar outing, having started at 10:45 and played for just about 2 hours.

I was happy with that amount, because I had told myself: "You know, you're probably going through all this for like, 9 dollars" on my way out the door.

"All this," is, of course, the 25 minute bike ride...the setting up of my stuff...and, last night was the first time I didn't smoke a joint while tuning up in months...

There was no magical clarity of mind and memory leading me to conclude that I am so much better off not playing stoned.
There was a lot of noticing of every tiny little mistake, which could mean that I am hearing things better when straight or could mean that I need to practice playing that way in order to get into the rhythm of it.
Saving the money on the weed and moving towards my ultimate goal of being able to busk on spring water alone and not even have a cigarette between songs.

Lately, it has been as if a Murphy's Law of Busking has been in effect. As soon as I pause to light up a cigarette, groups of tourists who have "tippers" written all over them will walk past; making me think that, if I didn't smoke I would have been playing at that particular moment and would have gotten a ten or twenty thrown to me.

This could be the way the universe is hinting to me to stop smoking. The lung cancer 5 years from now would be the less subtle hint, I suppose...

Computer Virus

I'm posting this up from the computer room at Sacred Heart.
When I was at the Uxi Duxi, I installed a copy of the Oneshot video editor from an unreliable, untrustworthy site.
This is often just because I loaded Linux off a 3 year old disc from a library book, and, even though I upgraded to a newer version, there are conflicts when installing new software, and so I went ahead and ignored the warning.
When the program was installing, I noticed line after line scrolling up the terminal with each line starting with: "removing" and I figured that maybe the installation removed the older versions of the same files before replacing them.
The Openshot program seemed to work OK as I went through the tutorial, but as I did so, and still had the terminal open, its window began to show all kinds of data. I figured that maybe this was a behind the scenes look at what the program does as it runs.
The reason that the experts use the command line is just for this fact, it removes one layer of interface and allows you to get right to the files in a textual context -no clicking and dragging and fancy icons...
But, as I was leaving the Uxi Duxi, I decided to pop open my webcam and snap a photo of the place, which would show the girl who sometimes wears equestrian boots, her French husband, Max and Max's friend whom he spoke French with.
The webcam application was no longer installed, which was weird.
I installed it at the click of a button but then the screen started flashing on and off to a certain rhythm which mimicked the flashing of the hard disk accessing light next to the wireless signal and the bluetooth one.
Restarting the computer brought me to my password screen where I entered the password and then waited about 5 minutes for the desktop to icons to appear and after they didn't, just put the thing to sleep and came back here to Sacred Heart.
It seemed like it was a virus of the kind that you hear about thats only purpose is to wipe clean someone's hard drive, just vandalism by some computer science major somewhere who thinks it's funny and wants the notoriety of being the author of the latest Uxi-worm, or whatever they will call it.
The good news is that I only will lose about a week's worth of material and I get to do another fresh installation of Linux.
I'll probably try to find a library book which has the latest version of Linux, rather than trying to update a 3 year old version.
It's hard to go out to busk now, when I really want to stay in and tackle the problem. But, going out to make money and then doing it later is the logical thing to do -just another thing to keep my mind off of as I play, I guess...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.