Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Street Musician Daniel: Nigger-Rich Defined

I have spent this session updating a previous post which has gotten twice the number of hits than any other this month...

Street Musician Daniel: Nigger-Rich Defined

If people are interested in that subject, I might as well elaborate on it, I thought..

Marvin B. Naylor

Plus, I was drawn to the blog of the above character, who is another busker.  I will examine his site more before I comment more, except to say that my first impression of him is he is a little bit of a Johnny B. figure in that he seems to be clean and to use his "charm" (making eye contact and smiling) as part of his "hustle."

He doesn't play the hell out of his guitar, well, at least not in the one video of him that I watched, and I can understand the comment being made by one guy of: "You're going to put everyone to sleep," which Marvin hadn't known whether to take as a compliment or not.

I woke up this morning (at noon) and realized that I had spent myself down to 2 dollars with the purchase of cat food on my way home the previous evening and had not gone out busking, and had not even the money for a shot of kratom.

My reaction was to sit outside in the sunlight and kind of meditate upon how nice it would be to not want a cigarette nor a shot of kratom nor a cup of coffee.

Then, I remembered the pennies I had in a bottle in the apartment.

There wound up being $1.09 worth of them (after the change-o-matic machine in Rouses Market took its cut) and I bought a Bangᶜenergy drink off my food stamp card and then came here to the Uxi Duxi, not missing a beat on my "regular" schedule. The next scheduled stop is the Lilly Pad, that I have a chance to be at by 9:30 PM, if I leave now.

The anxiety and pressure due to going out penniless to busk when a string might snap on the first note I play is resident in my stomach right now, proof that the "The Power of Now," book by Eckhart Tolle that I'm reading hasn't completely transformed me, yet.
I ordered a set of strings that might be here in a day or two.

Add To Wish List

I would like to buy a 40 dollar smart phone, to transfer the 500 free minutes per month from my government phone over to. This would help me to blog, and I might get into the habit of snapping pictures of anything that I might plan upon writing about.

Walgreen's has 32 gigabyte flash drives on sale for $14.99 (half price) right now and for the next week or so. I think I can configure Linux to automatically back up my "home" directory before shutting down, at the end of each session. Or, it could prompt me to "insert media" if the drive isn't plugged in, type of thing...

I want to get some potting soil to relieve the few plants that have had the temerity to still be alive after having been knocked to the floor by Travis Blain's cat and having lived in almost total shade the past year. I want to get a grow light, also, to address the latter issue.

I want to send the 20 dollars off to Massachusetts to get a copy of my birth certificate which will name my biological parents on it, pursuant to new laws which have come into existence.

I was adopted (by a great family) as an 18 month old infant. It would be nice to find out if my biological parents are still alive, and if I can bum money off of them, er, I mean if I can gain any sense of grounding through seeing where I actually came from.

If my dad is a 74 year old busker somewhere, how cool would that be?

Both he, and my biological mother had signed some paperwork which had made the whole ordeal "a closed chapter in their lives," in the words of the nun that I talked to in 1978 when I first became curious.

The laws changed about 20 years ago, but I'm a procrastinator, and having an extra 20 bucks for the purpose has been elusive. The reason the laws changed had to do with the importance of hereditary information for medical reasons. If my mom had passed away due to a fatal allergic reaction to an ostrich egg that she ate; then that is something that I might want to be aware of, before I go sampling dishes at a Moroccan restaurant, for example.

I also have to consider whether or not I want to get a job of some kind, to lift the burden off myself of having to make a living busking.

I could conceivably then get a passport and take busking tours of the USA and abroad, perhaps returning home with more money than I left with, and with interesting stories to blog about.

Resisting The Present Moment

The Present Moment
But, this might be avoidance of the major issue, which is the fact that I'm flat broke and need to go out to play on this Wednesday night, or spend tomorrow morning meditating away my desires for anything that money can buy. 

3 comments:

  1. If you're already got an Obama phone, you should be able to get a newer smart phone from one of the Obama phone dealers who hang around places like Social Services. That's what I was told by a bum who knows, in my area the directions are to get on the #73 bus and get off at Social Services, and the phone guys are always hanging around the front.

    But then, hey, $40 isn't bad for a phone. Add $200 to that and you'll know what I paid for mine, but I'd gotten $240 back from the IRS for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha on the "prove you're not a robot" thing, it showed some pictures and I was supposed to click on the ones that are store fronts, but I was in a hurry and just clicked on "Publish your comment" and it went on through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Busking's a fine way to make a living, if you like doing it enough that you regularly get out there because you want to.

    You obviously like playing guitar, since you've done it for so long and not wandered off and found something else to do. And you obviously care about the music you play.

    The thing is, if you get good enough, then you can have a stable of students like Marvin Naylor does.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.