Monday, June 11, 2018

By Embracing Uncertainty

Everything is pointing north, in a manner of speaking, as I am living with my greatest fear being that I will not make my trip to New England -for any reason under the sun- that something will come along to sabotage it.

I know that the only thing that could do that would be myself.

If I were to start drinking again, for any reason, for example, then I might find myself without the resources to make the trip, in short order.

I am going to go, whether or not I manage to kick cigarettes, coffee, energy drinks, pot and kratom and stay off alcohol.

The thought of Uncle Daniel having to step outside every 45 minutes for a cigarette, in front of my 4 nieces whom I have yet to meet, is embarrassing.

"New Orleans is a highly stressful and competitive environment for a musician and coming up with a coping mechanism like smoking is almost inevitable," is too lame for me to contemplate, as a reason for that.

"Needing" to smoke a joint in order to get into the mood for playing is another demon-driven behavior.

As I am on my 4th day of a juice fast, now is the time when I am going to have to go to the Lilly Pad with nothing but a gallon jug of spring water by my side and try to "make it happen."

I have been there before, but that was at least a year ago.

Harold's Food

How long I plan upon being away will correlate to how much cat food I can procure to leave with my neighbor, Wayne.

I'm shooting for 3 week's worth of it.

I've just about finished a song about my friend Hubert Borg, and will next finish one written by my high school friend, and band-mate, Ted Broughey -one which he sent me his own version of, recorded in his apartment, about 7 years ago.

I feel kind of weak.

I ate a cucumber, peeled and doused in vinegar and sprinkled with salt, last night before going to sleep. I'm still having depressing dreams -ones in which I am lost, or have lost my guitar and backpack and am roaming the earth in the dream, searching for them. The water-only fasting people, in their group discussions on Facebook, advise that, if the person just feels too weak, or is called upon to do something strenuous, she can nibble on a little bit of bread here and there. This slows way down the process of the body consuming its own fat, and eventually its cancerous cells, for energy.  

It being a Monday, I would be spinning the Wheel of Fortune by going out to play. It could land on 7 dollars, or on 50, but that is normal. The attitude that I go out with will ultimately control that.

My guitar strings are getting old and should start breaking any time now. I might take the brand new set off the Epiphone, which became my "second" guitar, the second I put the Grover Rotomatic 102 tuning machines on the Takamine, and switch them over to it.

I erred by not throwing 20 bucks on the green American Express Serve card when I had 23 bucks yesterday.

But, again, I'm not going to let having worn out strings and/or harmonicas keep me from traveling. There is a good chance that I might make enough money in a place like Charlottesville, Virginia (and hopefully meet John Grisham on the pedestrian mall there) to be able to go to their local music store and purchase a brand new Sukuki Harpmaster for around 30 bucks, it being conceivable that I could actually improve myself in transit, rather than sitting around here as the slow season rolls in like a thunderhead, hoping to have "just one fifty dollar night," before embarking on the trip.

Ekhart Tolle said that by embracing uncertainty, we help the blessings to flow.

I won't call Massachusetts until I am doing so from somewhere in between here and there.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, get a new harp and some new strings, and make a good "traveling sign" it seems, from a site I used to read called Hitch The Planet or something like that, that people really kick down for someone who's traveling.

    I'm a little too clean and "housie" to try some various panhandling angles that would be fun to try (and donate the money to worthy causes like I dunno, the ACLU or something) but use your imagination and there are all kinds of things you could try but just having a sign saying something like "HAVE TO GET TO MASSACHUSETTS TO MY FAMILY" could get you some big bucks.

    ReplyDelete

Only rude and disrespectful comments will be replied to rudely and disrespectfully. Personal attacks will be replied to in kind, with the goal of providing satisfaction to the attacker.